Chapter 40

It was the fourth day of room week, and the play and fashion show- coincidentally- were scheduled for later that evening.. All the performers were to sojourn in the hotel for the night. Uche and Huma had protested the offer, each having history with the place, but Henrietta had given them no choice, saying they had a room for makeup and dress up, and she didn't want stress or disorganization of any form. It took everything Huma had to keep her roommate from throttling their director.

They'd practised long and hard. In between school work and the activities, they barely got decent sleep. Huma had been up most nights creating the looks for the cast and Bernise reviewed and gave suggestions for improvements. By show day, she was painting the ideas on the faces of the cast.

Meanwhile, Uche stood at the window of her suite, watching cars enter the premises. She never realized the event would pull in such a crowd. The doorbell rang. Heart in her throat, she opened the door and Henrietta bustled inside, carrying something wrapped in a transparent bag.

"Your attires are here." She dropped them on the bed. They were tagged number one, two and three. " We have one hour," she pointed at dress one," That's for scene one to three." then at two, " For scene four." then at three." The last scene."

"Huma will be here to do your make up when she finishes with the others." Henrietta left.

Alone she sat on the couch with her head in her hands, heart beating wildly. What was she thinking going ahead with the whole thing? She regretted her decisions now. The door bell rang again and she let Huma in. Some guys accompanied her, carrying some boxes, dropped them In front of the vanity mirror and left.

Uche eyed the boxes suspiciously. "You sure it's just make up in there."

Grinning, Huma shrugged. They belonged to Bernise who was studying performance art. Apparently, she had with several local producers and was a real professional make up artist for those locally produced films.

Sitting in front of the mirror, Uche calmed her raw nerves while Huma beat her face. It took roughly thirty minutes.

"I'm definitely going to break out after this," she smiled nervously at her reflection. The colours were boldly dark, the focus being her eyes which were made to slant sultrily." This was Henrietta's idea wasn't it?" She sighed, sitting back. Huma didn't deny the assumption.

"So I invited Kazeem,"

Huma stared at her in shock.

"Yes, I did." Uche said, ignoring her reaction. "I told him about the fundamental work you're doing, and he said he wanted to see for himself. I asked Henrietta, and she agreed to have him included in the list of guests."

Many possibilities went through Huma's mind. What if he told her parents? They didn't want her doing make up instead of studying her books. She worried her bottom lip. No matter how well meaning Uche had thought it would be, she'd only get in trouble.

"He promised not to tell your parents, so you can relax."

Sagging with relief, Huma settled into one of the chairs, her knees going weak.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I wasn't going to but I don't want anything disrupting this excitement you have going on right now. I can tell you're enjoying yourself, and I want someone else besides me to see that and the amazing work you've done."

They smiled at each other. The phone in the room suddenly began to ring, and Uche went to answer it."They need you back. Bernise said she'll send someone for the boxes later. I'm also to dress up."

Huma came to her, rubbing her arm, even though she had been expecting a hug. "You'll do great."

"I sincerely doubt it."