Chapter 18.1

Stumbling into the room, Uche slammed the door shut and breathed hard through her mouth. She tossed her hand bag aside, not caring where it fell; the thing tumbled off the bed, landing with a soft thud on the other side.

There was a buzz in her ears. Whether anyone was in or not didn't matter. Restless, agitated, she paced.

How far gone is she?

Nine weeks.

Her body itched, and in an instant of insanity, she took off her cap, jettisoned her shirt, hissing.

What sort of nonsense is this? Can't you control your daughter?

And just how much money is this going to cost me?

Uche rubbed her neck. The pounding in her head was becoming unbearable, and she clasped the sides, groaning.

I want this thing inside me out. Get it out! Get it out! Get it out! Get it out!

The mirror suddenly appeared before her. Uche studied her reflection, shoulders heaving. The darkness shaded her face, hid reddening eyes and the pain behind them.

How could you do this to me? I thought we were friends!

The familiar laughter was hollow, echoing within her cranium.

It's your fault he left me. You bewitched him, you fucking whore! We had a good thing going until he saw you, and you're going to pay for it. I'll enjoy watching you suffer.

******

The cleaner eyed Huma suspiciously as she wandered inside the lecture theater, but kept sweeping. Huma's heels thumped across the tiles. The sound resonated in the empty. Time was short and ticking. Soon the other woman left, allowing her space to think of an escape plan before it was too late. The second one had all but captured the quarry. He was good. Really good. But he hadn't expected her to pretend she'd left her calculator in class. She was a genius.

"Forgot something?" She didn't look at Lawrence's double as she nodded, rummaging her bag intently.

"What is it?" Kazeem asked as they walked, Fatima wary by his side. Huma turned to them tapping different points of her palm with one finger-- It was the sign she used to borrow a calculator sometimes. "Your calculator,"

After holding up the same finger for one minute, she'd fled. Now, she contemplated her next move. Should she come out clean? She was warned never to tell, so she couldn't risk anyone's life (not even Fatima's). Just how influential were they? Lawrence had given her his number, in case things fell apart. If I see your call, I'll know.

Should she do that? Huma stamped her feet, frustrated. She couldn't decide. Finally, she searched for her phone. That was when she heard someone coming down the hall. Gasping, Huma stared, going still as the footsteps drew nearer. On impulse, she ducked under the closest desk, crawling into the space created by the high step and back seat, huddling, and clutching her bag. She folded her lips, closed her eyes, prayed. When the person halted beside her, Huma's heart leaped. She held her breath, peeling an eye open. The sleek shoes were his. Ominously, he stood there for what seemed like forever then left.

At the entrance, Huma scrambled out and glimpsed Ryan's back over the desk before he disappeared from view. Only then did she slump on a chair, heaving with relief. Phew, she thought, trembling a little. Anytime soon, the janitor would lock up the place. Whatever she had to do could come after she'd escaped, but how could she leave without being seen?

What do I do?

Her eyes lit up.

*******

Ryan was intrigued. Not many women hid from him these days. The calculator part had been a ploy after all, as he'd suspected; he'd spent too long in the game to fall for such slips-definitely not for someone whose job involved tracking people. Still, she scored some points for trying. Chuckling to himself, he ambled past the others taking out his keys, and slipped into his car. Kazeem approached the window as he started the engine.