:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Seven

“Holly! Where were you today?”

            I winced, pulling the phone away from my ear as Casey shouted into it. “I’m sick,” I lied, crossing my fingers. “I guess you gave me your illness.”

            “Oh! I’m sorry!”

            A grimace crossed my face. “Don’t be.” The real reason why I skipped school was because I was afraid to face Aaron. Obviously he hadn’t told anyone (there would have been an uproar on Facebook if he had), but it was too intimidating to see him right now, just in case he decided to.

            “I missed you today!”

            I cocked my head to the side. “Casey… was there Jeremy?”

            “Yup,” she responded cheerfully.

            “Why are you with him?” I inquired, a smirk spreading across my lips. Perhaps Jeremy is making a move?

            Jeremy said something I didn’t catch in the background, causing Casey to laugh. “Hold on, Holly. Jeremy wants to talk to you.”

            “Wait answer my question—”

            “What question?”

            “Hi Jeremy.”

            “You missed today in gym class!” he cried loudly. “Lexi was all over me.”

            My eyebrows furrowed. Wasn’t she all over Lance yesterday? “What about Lance?”

            “He was hanging out with Casey. But you should have seen Lexi, she was making up all these excuses to touch me.”

            “Jeremy, you can’t—”

            He cut me off. “I know! Casey reminded me. A bit forcefully, mind you.”

            I sighed lightly. “You probably deserved it. You can’t just flirt with the students, Jeremy.”

            “I know,” he muttered. “But it’s hard for a handsome, dashing, beautiful twenty year old man like myself to not flirt. It’s— ow!”

            “Ow?”

            “Casey hit me!” Jeremy complained. “She’s so violent— I mean cute, haha. Cute…”

            I grinned. What I’d do to be in that car right now… “Why are you together again?”

            “She needed a ride home,” Jeremy informed me. “Hold on, I’m giving the phone back to Casey.”

            There was the sound of the phone being passed off and then I heard Casey’s breath. “By the way Holly, Mr. Heywood wants you to call him.”

            My heart skipped a beat. “He does? Why?”

            “He said Aaron said something or something like that… He sounded pretty irritated.”

            Suddenly I felt like I was going to be sick. Did Aaron tell Chris he knew? What was Chris going to do about it? I clenched onto my phone. “Did he say anything else?”

            “Nope,” Casey responded, popping the P. “But Aaron’s going to stop by and give you your homework at some point.”

            “What?