:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Fifty-Two, Part One

“Ten… Nine… Eight…”

            The tension in the air was nearly palpable.

            “Seven… Six… Five…”

            Lance nudged me roughly in the side with his elbow, earning a squawk of surprise from me. Nobody seemed to notice though.

            “Four…”

            I sat a little straighter in my seat, my eyes glued to the clock. For the last three numbers, I found myself counting out loud along with the rest of the class. “Three… Two… One!”

            Immediately the room was filled with applause and cheer. Instead of joining them, I sunk back into my desk with a long sigh of relief. Even though it was only a half-day, the day had gone by incredibly slowly. But at least now it was over. Finally, I was finished with high school. No more waking up early every day. No more taking unnecessary classes to collect enough credits to graduate. No more worrying about grades for college. No more crappy school lunch…

             And almost no more hiding my relationship with Chris.

             Students began filing out of the room quickly; calling a quick goodbye to Chris with a promise they’d see him later. I stayed where I was, pretending to search through my backpack for my car keys. Lance hopped up from his desk, giving Lexi an overdramatic kiss on the lips before shooing her away. I was surprised he wasn’t running out of here with her. “What are you waiting for?” I inquired.

             “I need to have a man-to-man talk with Heywood,” he declared, giving me a pointed look. “Leave.”

             My jaw dropped. “What? You can’t just tell me to leave—”

             “I can and I did. Now get out of here for a moment so I can talk to him in private.”

             I glowered at him. “Lance!”

             “Holly,” Chris interjected, “just step outside for a moment.”

             Turning to face him, I frowned. “But—”

             Lance rolled his eyes. “It’s just a minute. It’s not like you’re going to die because you’re not with him.”

             “Whatever,” I grumbled, marching toward the door. “Sorry I wanted to spend my first few moments as a graduated senior with him, Lance…”

             “Almost graduated,” Chris corrected me. “You still have three more days until you get that diploma, Holly.”

             I stuck my tongue out at him childishly. “Fine. If you think of it that way, you’re still a grown man… dating a high school student.”

             A grimace passed his face and I smirked in return before sauntering out the door. As much as I wanted to stay and listen to what Lance had to day to Chris, I decided to give them their privacy. It was what a good friend would do.

            And Chris would probably tell me later anyway.

            Resting my back against the wall next to the door, I gazed out the glass doors on the other side, watching student’s speed out of the parking lot like they usually did after school. Obnoxious horn blaring came from cars driven by seniors— a tradition started way before I arrived at the high school. A smile crossed my face as I remembered a few of my teachers from years before growing increasingly frustrated with the unneeded noise.