:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Fifty-Four

“Holly Evers.”

            My pulse was pounding so hard in my ears, I didn’t hear my name being announced. Ron Everett, the senior standing next to me, gave me a little shove. “You’re up, Holly.”

            I stumbled forward, nearly tripping over the hem of my gown. The roar of applause now drowned out my pulse. More than one thousand people had their eyes on me. My eyes only met one pair though— a piercing grey pair. A handsome smile was Chris’s face as I staggered up to the stage, keeping my focus on him so my nerves wouldn’t cause me to throw up. Someone wolf whistled and I glanced away from my boyfriend briefly to see Aaron grinning wickedly at me.

            Of course, he distracted me just enough to cause me to trip on the first stair to the platform.

            Laughter erupted from the massive audience and I felt my face catch on fire. I scurried the rest of the way up the steps, nearly tripping again, and basically jogged up to the principal, passing straight pass Chris and Jeremy, who sat on the stage, laughing hysterically. Even Ms. Elliot was giggling.

            “Congratulations, Holly,” Ms. Clemm greeted me, holding out her withered hand. “Good luck.”

            “Thanks,” I mumbled, gripping her hand gently, afraid I’d break it with a full grasp.

            “Here’s your diploma.

            I took the thin roll of parchment from her hand like I’d done at least five times in the practice ceremonies. Now though, it was the real thing in my grasp. It was crazy to think people went to school for twelve years straight all for a flimsy piece of rolled up paper.

            My principal gave me a gentle push, and I moved down the line of teachers to the vice-principal, who also shook my hand, then to the guidance counselors, and so on. The rest of the graduation ceremony was a blur. I clapped my hands when I was supposed to. I cheered when my friends went up. I sat and listened to speeches. I just wanted it to be over.

            Finally, finally, everything came to an end. Black caps were thrown into the air, startling me. I never imagined it actually happened in real life. So of course, I was a little late to the ball. I threw mine up right after everyone caught theirs coming down. As I reached up to catch mine again, someone tackled me from behind. Gasping in surprise, I almost face-planted for the second time in under an hour.

            “Congratulations!” Casey chirped, clinging onto me. “Now go kiss Mr. Heywood— ah, I mean Chris, in front of everyone!”

            I turned to her, surprised, noticing my cap fall to my feet. “You corrected yourself?”

            “He’s not our teacher anymore,” she said with a grin.

            A grin spread across my own face. “That’s true.”

            “Congratulations!” a new voice shouted and I felt someone try yank my neck off. Lance laughed loudly, keeping one arm wrapped around both mine and Casey’s necks as we choked.

            “Killing… me…” I gasped, digging my fingernails into his skin.

            He released me quickly. “Ow!”

            “I’ve had enough encounters with death for my life, Lance,” I snapped at him. “I don’t need you choking me.”

            He scowled, rubbing his arm. “What crawled up your butt this morning?”