:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Twelve

"This is not my house."

            Chris sighed, gently pushing me into his apartment. "Holly, did you seriously not realize I didn't park in your driveway?"

            I whipped my head around to glare at him, but nearly lost my balance. He quickly grabbed my shoulders and I fell into him, wrapping my arms around his waist. "Can you dance like Jeremy?"

            "I can't understand you, Holly," he responded flatly.

            I put my hands on his hips, trying to make him move. "Dance."

            He shook his head, pushing me away. "No. You're going to bed, and I'm calling your mom to let you know you're staying here tonight."

            "Don't let her know I drank!"

            "I won't," he told me, a frown adorning his face. "Only because you aren't the one responsible."

            Nodding my head, I moved back from him. "It's all Aaron's fault."

            "It's partially your fault too."

            "How so?" I demanded, narrowing my eyes. "I didn't want alcohol!"

            Chris rolled his eyes. "The number one rule at a party is to never accept a drink from someone else. Everyone knows that, except you, apparently."

            "Aaron said it was pink lemonade..."

            "And your just that naïve to believe him," he snapped.

            I stared at him for a moment, taken aback by his snippiness. Was he angry with me? Because I didn't know a simple party rule? Didn't it occur to him that I didn't go to parties like that? It was like he thought it was my entire fault! I didn't want him to be angry because of my ignorance. I bit my lip, trying to keep my emotions in control. It didn't work. My eyes started to water and I shook my hair in front of my face to hide it. Why did I have to be such a moron?

            Soon I felt a pair of arms wrap around me and my face was pressed into his chest. "I'm sorry, Holly," he apologized. "I'm just irritated... You're always getting in trouble because of your innocence."

            "I'm sorry," I sniffed, gripping the back of his shirt. "I can't help it..."

"I know you can't," he told me with a deep chuckle. "But that's one of the things I love about you. It sort of gives me a challenge."

"I'm still sorry," I sighed. "I didn't mean to steal your car."

            He pushed me away, raising an eyebrow. "You didn't steal my car."

            "What did I do then?" I inquired, furrowing my eyebrows.

            "Accepted a spiked drink from Aaron..."

            "Who's Aaron?"

            Chris smirked. "You know what? Maybe you should get drunk more often. You have such a short attention span. It almost seems like you slip in and out of soberness."

            "Slobber? Do you have a dog?"

            "Let's get you to bed," he suggested, putting a hand on my shoulder.

            I stared up at him, a sly smile slipping onto my face. "We're sleeping together?"

            "We usually do...?"