:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Thirty-Eight

“Come on, Holly.”

            Shaking my head, I tried to pull my hand out of my boyfriend’s. “Absolutely not, Chris. I said I’m not going on it and I mean it.”

            He held my hand tighter. “You don’t have a choice. You’re going on it.”

            “No!”

            “Yep.”

            “No! It’s late. It’s cold. I’m tired. I’m ready to go back to the hotel.”

            “We’re not leaving until we ride Bizarro.”

            I glowered at him. “You’re such a jerk! You can’t make me go on a rollercoaster I don’t want to go on! I’m scared!”

            “I’ll hold your hand,” he promised me.

            “No!”

            “Stop being a baby.”

            “Stop being a jerk!”

            “You’re causing a scene.”

            “I don’t want to go on it!”

            He frowned. “Really?”

            I nodded. “Really.”

            “There’s nothing I can do to change your mind?”

            “Absolutely nothing.”

            Bringing his face closer to mine, his smoky eyes peered seriously into mine. “There isn’t one thing I can get for you? Or do for you?”

            Holding my ground, I straightened my back to show him I wasn’t going to give in. “Nope, nothing.”

            “Not even telling you the fact that I brought you all the way out here for a date for us and paid for the hotel?”

            “That was your choice. I can chip in… You know what, I probably should chip in. I bet that hotel costs a lot of money—”

            “No, Holly, I’m paying for that,” he interjected, rolling his eyes. “Do I have to beg you to get on Bizarro with me?”

            I crossed my arms. “I never realized you were one of those guys who don’t realize no means no.”

            He smirked. “And I didn’t realize how much of a wimp you are.”

            “I’m not a wimp!”

            “Apparently you are.”

            Just as I was about to yell at him, I realized something. He was provoking me on purpose. “I know what you’re doing,” I said accusingly.

            He gave me an innocent look. “What’s that?”

            “Trying to get me riled up so that I’ll snap and agree to going on the ride!”

            “I would never!” he gasped, mock horrified.

            “I’m not going on it.”

            He narrowed his eyes. “You’re going on it.”

            “The line’s like two hours long.”