:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Forty-Six

“Roller skating, beach trip, hiking, the zoo, and a two-day camping trip…” Lance glanced up from the piece of paper he was reading, a frown forming on his face. “Camping? In April?”

            “Technically it’ll be May by then,” Casey pointed out. “April ends Monday.”

            “Senior week looks fun to me,” I mused, scanning over the list of events. “Except the camping trip.”

            Chris tilted his head to the side. “You don’t like camping?”

            I shook my head. “Not at all. I hate the woods at night.”

            ‘Oh,” he started, smirking, “it’s not that you don’t like it. It’s just that you’re scared.”

            “You can share my tent!” Jeremy offered happily. “I volunteered myself to chaperone all these events, so you can stay with me and I’ll protect you!”

            Rolling his eyes, Chris sighed. “You do realize you probably have to tent with another chaperone, don’t you? I’m positive they won’t let Holly stay with you.”

            “I’m sure he will.”

            “He?” I echoed. “Who?”

            Jeremy pointed his slim finger straight at Chris. “This guy.”

            A snort emitted from Chris. “Me? Yeah right. I have better things to do with my life than play with a bunch of seniors for a week.”

            “Hey,” Casey, Lance, and I whined.

            “Holly excluded.”

            “Hey!” Lance and Casey cried while I smiled smugly.

            Jeremy chucked evilly. “Oh, I’m sorry Chris. Did I forget to mention I already signed you up for it?”

            “What did you say?” Chris’s voice was dangerously low. “You signed me up for camping?”

            Knowing what was coming, I silently begged Jeremy not to say more. I was afraid that the noise sure to come would attract someone walking by the classroom. Or worse, a teacher.

            “I signed you up for everything!”

            “You little brat,” Chris growled, shoving himself away from his desk. “Come here so I can kill you!”

            Letting out a quiet sight, I watched as Chris wrapped his hands around Jeremy’s throat and squeeze. The victim was busy laughing his head off, not taking his predator seriously. The motion caused me to subconsciously raise my hand to my own throat. The bruises from both Shawn and Mikey’s hands were gone now, but there was still evidence of the hickey Chris gave me. I was hoping after a whole week it would’ve disappeared. Luck, however, wasn’t on my side.

            “Okay,” Jeremy choked, his eyes watering from laughing so hard. “I c-can’t breathe now.”

            “Good.”

            Smirking, Casey wagged her finger at the blonde. “Jeremy, I told you the other day this would happen.”

            “You told him?” Lance echoed.

            “Yeah, I was with him when he thought… Never mind,” she said quickly, her face heating up in a blush.

            Interested, I watched her carefully. “With him? You guys hang out outside of school?”