:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Forty-Eight

“Sleeping bag?”

            “Check.”

            “Flash light?”

            “Check.”

            “Snack foods?”

            “Check.”

            “Extra clothing?”

            “Check.”

            Chris peered at all the bags in my trembling arms. “Pajamas?”

            I gasped. “Pajamas! I knew I was forgetting something!”

            “Here, give me that stuff. I’ll take it to the car,” he offered, holding out his arms.

            Heaving a sigh of relief, I dumped the heavy load into his arms. A little jealousy bubbled up in me when he didn’t even make a face. Just how strong was he? That had to be at least twenty pounds… I blinked when I realized that actually wasn’t heavy at all. The real question was; just how weak was I?

            He chuckled quietly before turning on his heel and heading out to his car. “Hurry up, Holly. I have to be that earlier than everyone else.”

            “Then why can’t I just drive myself?” I mumbled.

            “Because tomorrow morning I’m bringing you back to my house,” he called back, catching my muttered words.

            I sighed lightly. Tonight was the senior lock-in. Honestly, I didn’t want to participate, but since Chris had to go I decided to go… Or rather, he had basically blackmailed me into going. The worst part of it was you had to leave the school at seven in the morning. We had the day off, but then we had to be at the school again for three four the hiking trip. Chris had said senior week was going to be busy, but I hadn’t realized just how busy it was going to be.

            “Holly?” my mom called from the living room as I started up the stairs.

            I paused. “Yeah?”

            “I thought you were leaving?”

            “Gotta grab pajamas.”

            “Ooh, that means I can have a chat with Chris!”

            I groaned inwardly, hastening up the rest of the steps. My mom talking to Chris was never a good thing. After locating my pajamas, I grabbed them, and hurried back to the front door where my mom was now chatting with Chris. She flipped her brunette hair over her shoulder as she laughed, giving me the impression that she was flirting with him. Trying to be a bother, I decided to force my way between her right side and the door instead of her left, which left a lot more room.

            Chris noticed this and smirked. “Ready now, Holly?”

            “Yep,” I responded, holding up my pajamas. “Let’s head out.”

            “You two have fun!” my mom chirped happily, leaning forward to kiss me on the cheek. “Don’t do anything too risky! And if I don’t see you tomorrow, stay safe on your hike! Chris, Holly isn’t really active, so—”

            “Mom,” I interjected, sending her a warning look. “Stop talking. Now.”

            She smiled bashfully. “Did I say too much?”