:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Six

I stared at the sign posted on the door of the biology classroom. Lab Day. For a second I panicked, looking around for Lance. Finally my eyes landed on him as he came around the corner of the science wing. My eyes shifted to the right, where Lexi was literally clinging to Lance. Her arms were wrapped around one of Lance’s. I narrowed my eyes suspiciously at them as they grew closer.

            “Hey Holly!” Lexi chirped, sending me a radiant smile. “How are you today?”

            “Good,” I responded slowly. “So… You two dating now or something?”

            Lance laughed loudly, scratching the back of his head with a free hand. “Of course not!”

            “We’re just friends,” Lexi informed me. “For now,” she added with a wink.

            Lance flushed while I did my best to smile at the girl beside him. Was she joking, or was she telling the truth? They pushed past me, into the classroom. I stayed where I was, frowning at the floor. It would be good for Lance to get a girlfriend…

            “Hey, Holly.”

            My eyes snapped up from the ground, landing on the familiar unusual color of Aaron’s orbs. As an automatic reaction, I stepped away from him. He smirked. “Something wrong?”

            “No,” I responded calmly, narrowing my eyes. “I’m just thinking about going to get a drink…”

            He cocked his head to the side. “Don’t you want to see your favorite person ever? I’m sure he’s waiting.”

            My heart skipped a beat and I did my best to keep my face composed. “I’m sure Lance can wait…”

            “Lance?” Aaron reiterated with a laugh. “I think we both know that’s not who I was talking about.”

            Setting my jaw, I tried to push my way past him, but he quickly grabbed my shoulder, forcing me back against the hall wall. I stared at him with wide eyes as he held me in place, giving me a stern look.

            “Let me go,” I demanded.

            “I’m warning you now, Holly. It’s not going to work out.”

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

            “Yes, you do!” he growled. “Don’t act dumb!”

            “I’m not acting!”

            “Yes you are!”

            “I’m not—”

            He cut me off, pressing my shoulder harder into the wall. “Holly, I’m just trying to help—”

            “Is something wrong here?”

            Both Aaron’s and my attention turned towards the classroom doorway, where Chris was standing, his jaw clenched. Aaron promptly dropped his arm, sending Chris a polite smile. “Nothing wrong here, Sir.”

            Chris narrowed his eyes. “You’re going to be late. You better head inside the classroom.”

            Aaron saluted him. “Of course, Sir.” He turned to me, dropping his polite expression. “I’ll talk to you later, Holly.”