Chris POV [A Surreptitious Relationship]

HEY GUYS! REMEMBER, A SURREPTITIOUS RELATIONSHIP IS IN THE WATTY AWARDS UNDER "MOST POPULAR". PLEASE GO VOTE FOR IT IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY! Just go under the "The Watty Awards" tab at the top of the screen. Thank you so much!!!

. . . 

            “And this is why I don’t let you drive,” I stated matter-of-factly upon arriving at Uno. The elaborately decorated restaurant was a save haven to me. Holly’s driving skills could use a bit of work.

            An angry scowl appeared on her face. If only she knew it made her ten times cuter and not the least bit more intimidating. “Maybe if you didn’t snap at me all the time!” she accused.

            Rolling my eyes, I held back the smile threatening to spill across my face. “I didn’t snap at you. I just wanted you to be careful.”

            “It’s not like I was going to crash.”

            I smiled tensely. “But I didn’t want to take the chance. Imagine if you had crashed. I would feel terrible.” It was true. The only reason I was so snippy was because she couldn’t focus solely on the road. Every few seconds her eyes would flicker to me. Not that I could exactly blame her. When I was the one driving, my gaze would drift over to her multiple times.

            “Why would you feel terrible?” she asked, raising a delicate eyebrow. “You’re not the one who would have caused it. Well, actually, with the way you were snapping at me…”

            It was impossible to win with her. Ignoring her comment, I gripped her elbow, dragging her toward the entrance of the restaurant. “It’d be my fault for letting you drive. And if something happened to either one of us, you would feel like it was your fault, which would also make me feel bad.”

            “I am a good driver though,” she said quietly.

            Smiling, I ran my hand through her hair. “But not as good as me.”

            “You’re being such a worry wart!”

            I gave her a flat look. “Seeing as how both my parents and your father died in a car crash, I think I’m justified.”

            Immediately I regretted my words as he face paled. “Oh… Right. I’m sorry—”

            “Don’t apologize,” I interjected quickly, trying to sound lighthearted. “Forget I said anything. That was kind of a low blow.”

            “No, you’re right,” she sighed. Like usual. Always siding with me. “You have the right to be worried, but I really can drive well.”

            Once again I found myself resisting the urge to smile. She wasn’t going to let that go, was she? Even with her claims of being a good driver, she would never own up to me. The memories of the many races I’d been in from when I was in the gang rushed through my mind. Admittedly, we did some dangerous shit. But I came out alive, didn’t I? That had to prove something about my driving ability. “How long have you had your license for?” I questioned, genuinely curious.

            “Umm,” she hesitated, furrowing her eyebrows, “I’m not sure, actually.”

            I frowned. Did she even have her license? Was she lying to me? “Pull it out and let me see it.”

            “Okay,” she agreed easily, soothing my worries. Her hand went to her pocket and patted it. Then color drained from her face. “Oh no…”