:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Forty

People weren’t lying when they said hospital food was disgusting. Unable to handle it, I pushed my plate away from me, shaking my head. “If I eat anymore, I’ll throw up.”

            Aaron shot me a dirty look. “At least you can go home and eat something different afterward.”

            “I’ll bring you Subway or something next time,” I told him, leaning back in my chair and letting out a sigh. “Now can we talk about what just happened?”

            Frowning, he leaned back onto his bed, gazing up at the ceiling lazily. “There’s nothing really to talk about…”

            “Yes there is! Why did they suddenly come after you? In a hospital, nonetheless! A public place! And it was so random too!”

            He shook his head. “It wasn’t random.”

            I stared at him flatly. “It wasn’t? You’ve been in here for about a week and you’re telling me showing up at of the blue today isn’t random?”

            “It’s not,” he pressed, rolling his eyes at me. “A few days ago I got a letter from Shawn saying I should expect this—”

            “You what?

            Aaron blinked at me. “I got a letter from Shawn and—”

            “And you didn’t think to tell me?” I demanded, my eyes as round as saucers. “Aaron! That was dangerous! You could’ve died! Why didn’t you think to mention it when you got the letter? Usually threatening letters means danger!”

            He glowered at me. “I told you I don’t need your help—”

            “That’s why when I walked in you had everyone knocked out on the floor with your foot on Mikey’s back, right?” I asked sarcastically.

            “W-whatever!”

            “You’re handicapped right now, Aaron. Remember that. Even if you don’t want my help, you do need it.”

            He crossed his arms. “But you’re a girl. I don’t want—”

            “Help from a girl?”

            “No, you getting hurt.”

            His words threw me off guard for a moment. “Huh?”

            An embarrassed expression crossed his face and he glared at the floor, avoiding all eye contact with me. “I’ve done enough to you. Stupidly. I don’t want to involve you in anything else. I owe you that much.”

            “I don’t mind,” I responded, my gaze softening. “I’m sure I’ve said this a hundred times, but I’ve been on the receiving end of Shawn’s craziness. That and apparently I’m too nice…”

            He snorted. “Too nice? That’s the understatement of the century.”

            I puffed out my chest defiantly. “There should be more people like me in the world. It’d make it a better place.”

            “I s’pose so,” he agreed quietly. Then, realizing what he said, he froze up. “N-never mind. Get out.”

            “I’m not leaving.”

After a moment of silence he sighed. “Fine.”

            “What else did the letter say?”