:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Four, Part Two

Still in shock, I climbed out of the car, and into the pouring rain. Chris appeared at my side moments later, and together we hurried towards the front door. I took the key from under the mat and opened the door, ushering Chris in before closing it behind us. I kicked my shoes off and he followed my example, placing them neatly on the shoe rack.

            “Umm,” I started awkwardly, looking everywhere but at Chris. “Do you want something to drink?”

            “I could go for some hot chocolate,” he responded, heading towards the kitchen. “I can make my special hot chocolate if you have the ingredients.

            I followed him into the room, flicking on the lights. “You mean what you made me the night my mom invited you for dinner without me knowing?”

            He glanced at me, impressed. “You remembered that?”

            “Um, yeah…”

            He smiled in amusement. “Well, yes, that’s the one.”

            “What’s in it? I’ll help you look for the stuff,” I offered, walking over to the cabinets. “I know we have cocoa powder…”

            “Ah-ah-ah,” Chris chided, moving me away cupboard. “It’s my secret mix.”

            I frowned at him. “But—”

            “Just sit down at the island.”

            “What about Jeremy? You shouldn’t stay for too long…”

            He raised an eyebrow at me, crossing his arms. “Do you want me to leave?”

            “No!” I responded quickly, shaking my head. “That’s not it.”

            He chuckled, turning back to the cabinet. “Jeremy can wait. Although, I’m a little afraid he might set fire to my apartment…”

            “I’d be more than a little afraid,” I responded, pushing myself onto one of the stools at the island. “It is Jeremy.”

            Chris just shrugged his shoulders. “Put your head down.”

            “Chris—”

            “Holly.”

            “I’m not putting my head down,” I refused, staring at his back incredulously.

            He glanced over his shoulder at me, frowning. “What if I take off my shirt?”

            I rolled my eyes. “I’ve seen you shirtless before.”

            “Please, Holly.”

            “Chris…”

            “Holly…”

            I sighed lightly. “Okay, fine.” Feeling like an idiot, I put my arms on the bar and put my head face down on them.

            “Thank you,” he responded, and I heard the cabinets being open.

            Five minutes later, I felt someone tap on my shoulder. Chris was smirking at me when I raised my head. He handed me a steaming mug of hot chocolate, and then took a seat across from me with his own.