:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Eight

Excited chatter filled the school halls as I trudged down them, tracking in slush from the latest snowstorm. As I turned a corner, someone coming from the other direction slammed into me, causing my face to meet a shoulder. I didn’t have to look up to know who it was.

            “Watch where you’re going, Ms. Evers.”

            “Sorry, Chris,” I muttered, feeling a blush spread across my face.

            He grinned down at me. “I really wonder why you blush so easily…”

            “Who cares? It makes her look cute.”

            I started, twisting my head around to see Jeremy giving me a goofy smile. He abruptly pulled me to his chest, pressing my face into his shirt roughly. Surprised, I allowed him to keep me there for a moment before trying to push away. He just held on tighter.

            “You’re like a cute little kitten, Holly,” he told me, twisting back and forth. “Chris is one lucky bastard.”

            Chris muttered a curse at Jeremy, who finally let me go. I gave him a reproachful look. “How many times did I say you couldn’t do that in school?”

            “Not enough,” he responded cheekily. “Now I’ve got to go hunt down Casey.”

            “Why?”

            He held up her Northface. “She forgot this in my car yesterday.”

            Chris furrowed his eyebrows in confusion while I tried my best not to grin. Maybe I didn’t need to help Jeremy and Casey get together after all. Just then, Casey decided it would be the perfect moment to round the corner. Jeremy immediately sprung at her, causing her to jump in fright. I laughed, watching as she smacked Jeremy upside the head.

            “Holly…”

            I turned back to Chris, my smile faltering. There was that Holly, don’t even think about it tone. “What?”

            “You have snow in your hair,” he told me, running his hand over the top of my head.

            I blinked at him. Well, that wasn’t what I expected. “W-well it was snowing,” I stuttered, running my own hand over my head.

            He grinned. “Oh really? I thought it was raining dandruff.”

            “Mr. Heywood!”

            Once more I started, my heart leaping into my throat as Lexi pushed by me, beaming at my boyfriend. I stepped back, trying my best not to slap her. It’s just her personality, I told myself firmly.

            “Morning Alexis,” Chris responded, smiling politely at her.

            “I didn’t know you roamed the halls in the morning,” she commented, tugging at a piece of her hair. “It’s refreshing to see you!”

            He chuckled. “Refreshing?”

            She nodded. “Yep!”

            “Then it’s unfortunate that I’m actually on my way to my classroom,” he continued, quickly glancing at me. “I need to set up for first period.”

            “Do you need any help?”

            I stared at Chris, trying to telepathically tell him to say no. When he shook his head, I almost sighed in relief. If there was one thing I didn’t want, it was Lexi in the same room as Chris. Even though I trusted him completely, I didn’t trust her at all.