:A Surreptitious Relationship: Back To School

Bzzzt. Bzzzt. Bzzzt.

            Sleepily, I reached for my phone, patting around the side table until I finally found it. Fumbling for a moment, I finally hit the answer button and put it to my ear. “Hello?”

            “Morning, Holly.”

            I opened my eyes, squinting into the bright light of my cell phone screen. The clock read 8:00AM. Groaning, I shut my eyes again. “Chris, I don’t have classes until two. Don’t wake me up.”

            He let out a chuckle. “I would, but I need you to do me a favor.”

            “No. Make Jeremy do it.”

            “I don’t like Jeremy. So let me rephrase that, you’re going to do me a favor.”

            “Or what? You’ll beat me up?”

            “Maybe.”

            Sighing, I pushed myself into a sitting position. “Fine, whatever. I’ll get up on the only day I can sleep in—”

            “You’re always so grumpy in the morning,” he commented.

            I scowled. “Maybe if you actually let me sleep once in awhile—”

            “That’s no fun,” he interjected. “I need you to bring me the file on the kitchen table. The one with the tests in it. I forgot it and my students need it.”

            “I need to shower first,” I grumbled, sliding out of the bed. “Then I’ll come down.”

            “Sure, come straight to the classroom. You remember where it is?”

            “Yes.”

            “And bring me some coffee.”

            Rolling my eyes, I headed into the kitchen to check if the file was actually on the table. “Bring me some coffee what?”

            He sighed. “Please.”

            “Much better.” The file was on the table. Along with a red rose. I smiled, picking it up. Sometimes Chris could be romantic, and leaving roses became his thing after the Valentine’s day dance. It made me wonder if he left the file on purpose.

            “Don’t forget it.”

            “I won’t,” I said with a laugh. “I might as well get myself some. See you in a little bit.”

            “I love you, Holly.”

            As always, a warm feeling spread through me at his words. “I love you too.”

            I entered the bathroom next, to find another bunch of roses in the sink. Laughing, I filled it up with some water so they wouldn’t die.

             The bathtub was littered with rose petals.

             Now I rolled my eyes. I knew buying the rose petals on sale at the store was a bad idea.

             Half an hour later I was pulling up to my old high school. Smiling, I reminisced on the time when I was there. Especially senior year. Definitely one of the most interesting years in my life. Life-changing…

            With Chris’s files and coffee in hand, I strode right in, not bothering to pick up a guest pin from the main office. To my surprise, they repainted the hallway colors to a plain white. There were no students in the hall, so I assumed they were all in class. As I turned the corner to the Biology wing, someone grabbed my shoulders. “Boo!”