:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Four

“Chris?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you know anything about the twins?” I inquired, turning my head slightly so I could see him. “Like, do you know them or anything?”

His grey eyes narrowed in confusion. “No, why?”

“No reason…”

I returned my attention back to the television where The Uninvited was playing. Chris shifted, causing me to shift as well since I was leaning back on him. Friday nights were movie nights for us. This week it was my choice. However, I couldn’t focus on the movie. My thoughts were too preoccupied by the twins— more specifically Aaron. What did he want to ask me? Did it have something to do with the reason why he looked like he recognized me the first time we saw each other?

“There’s something fishy about that Alex girl,” Chris commented quietly, scrutinizing the television screen. “No one ever speaks directly to her… What do you think?”

“I think Aaron might know us,” I blurted out suddenly. “Lexi too. They looked like the recognized me. What if they know something? What if they figured out we are dating? Or if somehow they know Shawn and—”

            Chris put a hand to my mouth, effectively silencing me. “Holly, calm down.”

            I stared at him, relaxing a little bit when I realized he looked completely calm. He pulled his hand away, offering me a small smile. “Shawn’s in jail. We don’t have to worry about him.”

            “But what if—”

            “There are no what ifs, Holly.”

            I frowned. “We have to consider everything though…”

            Chris shook his head. “You can consider everything without Shawn. I’ve never seen Alexis or Aaron in my life. There’s no way they know us. Have you?”

            “No,” I responded, “but they gave me the same look you did when you first saw me.”

            Chris smirked. “They looked at you like you were the person they loved?”

            I shook my head. “No! But—”

            “Listen, Holly. There’s no way they could know.”

            “But what if they did?” I demanded, giving him an impatient look.

            He sighed lightly. “If they knew we were dating, we would probably have to break up.”

            “Break up?” I echoed, feeling my mouth grow dry.

            “If they told someone, I would lose my job, and you could be expelled. I don’t particularly care if I lose my job, but I don’t want to see you expelled five months before you finish your senior year,” Chris told me, his eyes smoldering into mine. “But since they don’t know, we don’t have to worry about it, okay?”

            “I…”

            Chris groaned, wrapping his arms around me, and pulling me tightly against his chest. After that, he fixed the blanket around me so that it was around both of us. “You worry too much,” he commented, kissing the top of my head.

            I squirmed, but didn’t move away. “I just don’t want anything to happen...”

            “Neither do I,” he told me, “but if you’re paranoid about it, it won’t help anything.”