:A Surreptitious Relationship: The Morning After

REMEMBER TO VOTE!!! :D :D :D

     Thump-thump. Thump-thump. Thump-thump.

            Chris’s steady heartbeat sounded in my ear, perfectly in tune with my own. He was still fast asleep, one arm splayed out over the edge of the bed, the other under my torso. Generally when people told me they liked to watch other people sleep, I felt a little creeped out, but now, I understood them completely. While he was passed out, I was able to see the side of him he rarely showed. The defenseless, innocent side of him. His chest rose and sunk with each breath, his breathing quiet and gentle. Smiling, I reached out my hand and brushed some of his hair out of his forehead, clearing enough space for me to plant a soft kiss on his warm skin.

            Slowly, his bleary eyes opened and slid over to mine. “Holly?”

            “Morning,” I whispered, arching my back so he could remove his arm from under me.

            “What time is it?” he asked, turning his head to glance at the alarm clock on his side table. “Nine? I’m going back to bed.”

            “We slept late enough,” I protested, sitting up and wrapping the bed sheet around my nude figure. “I’m hungry.”

            He groaned, letting his head fall back onto his pillow. “So you want me to get up and make you breakfast?”

            “Yes?”           

            “You know, you’re lucky I love you,” he muttered, forcibly sliding his body off the bed. “Isn’t the woman supposed to cook in the relationship?”

            I smiled innocently at him. “But you’re so good at it…”

            He laughed quietly, nodding. “Okay, okay. You do the dishes after then.”

            “Okay,” I agreed, keeping my eyes on his face. “Um, are you going to put any clothes on?”

            “Nope,” he responded evilly, sauntering toward the bedroom. “I’m feeling up to going in the buff today. Besides, you know you like looking.”

            My cheeks flamed and I dropped my gaze to the ground, involuntarily scanning over Chris’s toned body as I did so. It landed on my panties and I blushed darker, hopping out of the bed to pick it up off the ground. Keeping the sheets wrapped around me, I hurried over to my overnight bag and stuffed them in it. Then I rifled through it, finding a new set of lingerie and quickly throwing that on. Instead of dressing completely for the day, I just threw on a black long-sleeve shirt.

            A quiet meow came from the other side of the closed bedroom door. Padding over to it, I opened it and Milkshake came stumbling in, rubbing himself against my shin. “Hi!” I cooed brightly, scooping the kitten off the ground. “Oh, you’re so big now! I forgot about you last night! I’m so sorry! Chris must’ve purposefully locked you out.”

            “What if I did?”

            I jumped slightly in surprise, turning to find Chris—thankfully with pajama pants on—searching through the top drawer of his dresser. “You’re a cruel man.”

            He smirked. “Your eyes can be so cruel, just as I can be so cruel.”

            “Now’s not the time to be quoting David Bowie,” I responded, scratching Milkshake behind the ears. “I’m going to go feed him.”