:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Fourteen

“Have you seen the flier for the Valentine’s Day dance?” Casey asked, setting her tray down next to me at our usual lunch table.

            I glanced up at her, shaking my head. “I didn’t even realize there was a Valentine’s Day dance.”

            “Well there is,” she told me, producing a piece of red paper from her back pocket. “Take a look.”

            Curiously I pulled the paper from her hand, taking in the fancy script on the top of the paper, stating that it was indeed a Valentine’s Day dance. Interestingly enough, it happened to fall on the real Valentine’s Day, which was on a Friday. This Friday to be more precise. “When was this flier put up?”

            “Like two weeks ago, Holly. I can’t believe you didn’t notice.”

            Casey looked behind me, grinning widely. Turning my head, I noticed Lance raising an eyebrow at me. I shrugged back at him. “I’ve been preoccupied.”

            “Did you see what kind of dance it is?”

            “No…”

            “Take a look.”

            Doing as he said, I scanned the rest of the paper quickly, my eyes landing on masquerade. I stared at it for a moment. “Masquerade?”

            “You know, where we all wear masks and no one can tell who anyone is?” Casey pressed, leaning forwards in her seat in excitement. “The kind of dance where you can dance with you-know-who and not be caught?”

            “I didn’t know Lord Voldemort would be attending,” Lance laughed.

            She rolled her eyes. “You know who I mean, Lance.”

            I returned my attention to the flier, a small smile forming on my face. A masquerade was the perfect type of dance… But it was still pretty risky. In my mind there was no mask that could hide Chris. He was recognizable no matter what, even if his face was hidden completely.

            “Well that’s because you’ve been dating the man for a few months now and are head over heels for him,” Casey commented casually.

            “Did I say that out loud?” I asked, staring at her.

            She laughed. “Yep.”

            I dropped my gaze in embarrassment. “Whoops…”

            “So do you want to go? We could go dress shopping,” Casey prodded, looking eager again. “Like on Wednesday.”

             “How much is it?”

            “Thirty,” Lance told me, snatching the flier from my hands. “You should go.”

            “Are you going?”

            He nodded, a grin crossing his face. “Yep. I’m planning on asking Lexi to be my date.”

            My heart sunk in my chest a little. He looked so excited… I couldn’t tell him she had a thing with Jeremy now.

            “You sure you want to take her?” Casey inquired, furrowing her eyebrows. “She probably already has a date…”

            “What? You think?” He looked surprised by the idea. “I should ask her soon.”

            I lowered my gaze, deciding to focus on the bottle of water in front of me instead of their conversation.