:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Nine

A bright pink envelope suddenly appeared in my vision, blocking out the lab I was working on. Confused, I looked up to see Lexi beaming at me. She pushed the envelope closer to my face. Afraid of having my eye cut open, I snatched it from her hands.

            “What’s this?” I asked, staring at my name drawn in curly letters. “An invitation?”

            She nodded her head. “Yeah! Aaron and I are throwing a party this weekend. Kind of like… A welcome party! You should come! I’m inviting Lance and Casey too.”

            Lance’s head snapped up from beside me. “Really?”

            “Of course! It’s not like I’m not going to invite someone as handsome as you,” she responded brightly. “I really want you to come.”

            He grinned goofily. “I’ll be there.”

            “Awesome! All the information you’ll need is in the envelope, so you’re all set!” Lexi told us, handing Lance a blue envelope. “Now where’s Mr. Heywood…”

            “You’re inviting him?” I asked in surprise.

            She gave me a sly smile. “I can try, can’t I?”

            Lance muttered something I didn’t catch under his breath. I turned to give him an annoyed look. He didn’t have to worry about Chris hitting on Lexi.

            “There he is! Mr. Heywood, over here!”

            My eyes snapped to the supply room door where Chris was emerging from, a plastic container of chicken salad in his hand. Suppressing a smile, I turned away from him. I’d woken up early in order to make him the salad. He’d been complaining how awful the school lunch had been lately, so I took matters into my own hands.

            “Do you need something Alexis?” he asked, coming over to us and stopping right in front of my desk.

            Lexi grinned at him. “Yep. How’s your salad?”

            He gave her a confused look. “Good… The chicken is dry though,” he added, the corner’s of his lips turning up into a smirk.

            I flushed, biting my tongue so I wouldn’t say anything.

            “You’re not a really good cook I take it?”

            He chuckled. “I guess I’m not all I say I am.”

            “Well, not all of us are can cook at a professional level and be cocky about it,” I commented casually, sending him a quick smile.

            “If they were cocky, it’s justified.”

            I gave him a flat look. He smiled before returning his attention back to Lexi. She simpered at him, holding an envelope behind her back.

            “What are you up to this weekend?” she asked in a curious voice.

            His smile dropped the tiniest bit. “Grading papers probably.”

            “That’s not exciting at all!”

            “That’s what it’s like being a teacher.”

            “You should come to my party,” she suggested, now bringing out the envelope. “I’m planning on inviting Mr. Ross too.”