:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Thirty-Five, Part Two

The bell sounded, signaling the end of third period. Immediately I stood up, throwing my backpack over my shoulder, ready to speed-walk to Chris's room. Apparently I wasn't the only one excited for lunch. One of the guys from my class, a junior I didn't really know, jumped up from his seat with a whoop. A few of the other students, myself included, turned to look at him. In his hand was a pickle. I watched in amusement as he quickly slapped it across James' face before bolting out of the room, guffawing with laughter. James made eye contact with me, a horrified look in his eye. I couldn't help but laugh at him. 

"Thanks, Holly!" he called as I headed to the exit. 

I waved my hand back at him in response, not wanting to stop and have a conversation with him. If I wasn't headed to the biology wing I would've stayed, but I was more excited for lunch. Casey's mom was a cook that almost rivaled Chris. Almost. Chris was still the best chef. 

As I was rounding the corner to the classroom, someone tackle-hugged me, almost knocking me to the floor. It took all the strength I had to keep myself on my shaky feet. Groaning, I attempted to push the man off me. "Jeremy, you're too heavy." 

"How did you know it was me?" he complained, releasing me of his crushing weight. 

"Not many people would come running and jumping on me." 

"Ah, true. You seem very fragile." 

I cocked an eyebrow at him. "Seem?" 

He grinned, his green eyes twinkling. "We both know how much of a punch you can pack when you try." 

"You mean when I get lucky," I corrected, "and I rather not think about those darker times, if you don't mind." 

He snorted. "Darker times..." 

I pushed open the door to Chris's room without knocking, my eyes immediately searching for him. When they caught sight of him I froze, causing Jeremy to run into me. "Er..." 

Chris's head whipped in my direction, his eyes widening slightly when he saw Jeremy and myself. I cocked an eyebrow, taking in the scene before me. Casey was against the chalkboard, Chris holding her there with his hand on her mouth. Lance was also there, perched on Chris's desk, going through a pile of papers. It was an interesting and bemusing view. 

"What are you doing?" Jeremy demanded, brushing past me, and marching up to Chris. "Get your hand off her." 

Chris immediately dropped his hand. "Look, you don't-" 

"Are you okay?" Jeremy asked seriously, facing Casey. 

"I didn't attack her," Chris said flatly, crossing his arms. "She's just wouldn't shut up." 

Casey sniffed, turning her head up at him. "I was just being curious and he suddenly slapped his hand to my mouth!" 

"After he told her to stop talking a million times," Lance added. "Rudely, I have to say."  

"Of course I would! You don't ask things like that!" 

"Things like what?" I inquired, moving closer to the group. "Casey... Are you harassing Chris?" 

She shrugged innocently. "I was just curious about your relationship..." 

Chris scowled. "She asked me if-" 

"I don't want to hear it," I said quickly, saving myself from the embarrassment that was sure to come if I heard the questions she asked him. Already I could name three off the top of my head she would surely ask. 

Jeremy patted her on the shoulder. "Good luck. He won't even answer me." 

"Who would?" Chris snapped at him.