:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Twenty-One

"Should I get wheat bread or white bread?" 

I peeked over Chris's shoulder to see a loaf of each in his hand. "Does it matter?" 

"Well which do you prefer?" 

"Umm, wheat?" 

He nodded briefly. "Then I'll get white." 

"You-" 

"Kidding," he interjected, shooting me a sly smile as he slipped the wheat bread into the carriage. 

I puffed out my cheeks indignantly. "That gets old you know!" 

"Maybe to you, but your cute flustered expression never does to me," he remarked, flicking the tip of my nose. 

Paul giggled from the carriage seat, reaching his tiny hand up and wrapping his little fingers around Chris's larger digit. For a split-second Chris froze, his eyes snapping down to the little boy who was now pulling at his finger. I watched warily. By his expression, it looked like he wanted to fling Paul halfway across the room. Just as Chris opened his mouth to protest, I gently pried Paul's fingers away. "That's dangerous..." 

"Dangerous? What? Did you think I was going to fling him across the room?" 

A wry smile crossed my face. How did he know? "Er, no...?" 

He cocked an eyebrow. "You know you can't lie to me." 

"Right," I murmured, the earlier uncomfortable feeling in my stomach returning. If he always knew when I was lying like he claimed, how come he didn't realize I lied when I said I didn't want children? The one time it actually mattered? Why didn't I have the guts to tell him it was a lie? 

"Holly?" 

I snapped myself out of my trance, feeling frustrated. "Yeah?" 

He furrowed his eyebrows briefly before rearranging his features into a handsome, persuading smile. "Could you go grab the milk and eggs? I'll swing by the meat section and meet you in the fresh foods." 

"No problem," I responded, a plan developing in my mind. "But..." 

"But?" 

Pushing myself onto my tiptoes, I cupped his face in my hands and gave him a swift kiss, crushing our lips together. When I pulled away he was still processing what had happened. "You keep Paul!" I demanded, escaping while I could, a satisfied smile slipping across my face. 

"Holly!" 

Waving once, I disappeared around the corner and out of view. If he didn't like children now, I was going to make him like them. Paul was a good starting point. He was such a cute little boy! Chris would never be able to keep up his hateful attitude. Maybe he just wasn't used to being around children. If this was his first time babysitting Paul that would be a leading factor. He'd come around eventually. 

Humming quietly to myself, I headed to the dairy area. I smiled to myself when I realized that if I ever did live with him, this was what it was going to be like when we went grocery shopping. A giggle escaped my lips when I imagined him trying to decide what kind of milk to get. I knew he liked whole while I preferred 2%. 

"Something funny?" 

My heart stopped at the sound of the familiar voice. He could not be here right now. Not when I was having such a good weekend not worrying about him. He hadn't even popped into my head once! But now... I slowly turned to see Aaron smiling politely at me. Sagging my shoulders, my peaceful face immediately twisted into a scowl. "None of your business." 

He looked offended. "Ouch, Holly." 

I ignored him, deciding it'd be best just to pretend he wasn't there. To my dismay he began to follow me. "Go away, Aaron," I ordered over my shoulder.