:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Twenty-Seven

Tuesday morning I walked into the kitchen to see my mom grinning widely at me. "Morning Holly!" she chirped. 

"Morning," I muttered, unable to share her enthusiasm. A yawn escaped my lips and I stretched, feeling my muscles strain. Thanks to Chris, I'd been up half the night texting. Every time I was close to falling asleep, my phone would vibrate and wake me up again. 

She continued beaming at me as I moved across the room, heading for the breadbox. "I got you a present." 

"Did you?" I said, pulling out two slices of wheat. The soft bread was flopping in my hand as I marched over to our toaster. "What is it?" 

"Look to your right." 

After pushing down the black lever to start the toaster, I followed my mom's instructions and my gaze trailed off to the side. It landed on a small, plastic package. I cocked an eyebrow. "A package of gum?"

"Uh-uh. Look closer." 

Wariness washed over me as I picked up the bottle. After I read the label, I wheeled on my heel to stare at my mom in shock. "Mom! Birth control?" 

"What? I just want my daughter to be safe!" 

"We're not having sex!" 

She blinked. "What? You're not?" 

"No!" 

"Really?" 

"He says we're not allowed to do anything until after I graduate," I told her, lowering my voice to a grumble at the end. 

Her eyes lit up. "So you do want to have-" 

"Mom!" 

She laughed, clapping a hand to her mouth. "I'm sorry, Holly," she apologized after a minute, sending me a sheepish grin. "It's just, if Chris is anything like your father was, I was expecting you two to be together like that." 

I made a face. "Ew, no. Don't even start about your physical relationship with Dad. I don't want to hear it." 

A short bark of laughter escaped her lips. "I was just saying that while I was young, he was still a man. Men have desires too, you know. More than women. That's why I was so surprised when you said you and Chris haven't gone that far yet. He must have had past physical relationships, so I just assumed..." 

Yeah, like the other Holly... An uncomfortable feeling spread through my stomach. I didn't want to think about Chris and the other Holly. But even as I thought that, I couldn't help but wonder how far their relationship had gone. They had definitely been in love, but had they...? Probably, I thought reluctantly. I mean, why not? They were both adults. They were both out of high school. Chris had no reason to say no if she ever tried to come onto him. No doubt she could have him anytime she wanted. While I, on the other hand, was told no. No, no, no. That was all Chris ever seemed to say. It was really infuriating... 

"Holly? You okay?" 

Coming out of my thoughts, I gave my mom a half-smile. "Yeah. Why?" 

"You didn't answer me." 

"I'm sorry, what did you say?"  

"I said Chris must really love you if he's the one saying no," she repeated. "I mean, if I was a guy I'd be all over you." 

I looked at her in disbelief. "Mom!" 

"Well you look just like your mother," she continued, a smirk slipping onto her face. 

"God, you are so weird," I muttered, shaking my head at her. "Chris just doesn't want to get in trouble. Which-" I cut myself off, clamping my lips together. My mom didn't need to hear me complaining about why Chris wouldn't have sex with me. She didn't even need to think of our relationship.