:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Sixteen

When Friday rolled around you could literally feel the euphoria in the air. All the girls were gossiping about how beautiful their dresses were and all the boys were bragging about their dates. At the moment, Casey was gushing about her “perfect, stunning, jaw-drop worthy” dress.

            “It just reaches my knees,” she prattled as we walked down the hallway toward the science wing. “I can’t wait until you see it tonight! You’ll be amazed!”

            I smiled at her exhilaration. “What color is it?”

            She made a face. “I wanted one in blue, but since our theme is Valentine’s Day I got a deep pink.”

            “I’m sure it will still look great on you,” I responded, rolling my eyes. “You look good in every color. What’s your mask look like?”

            A smirk crossed her face. “You’ll have to wait and see.”

            “Fine.”

            “What does your dress look like?”

            My smiled turned sheepish. “Well actually, I spent all my money…”

            Her eyes widened. “What? You don’t have a dress? Why did you do that?”

            “No, no. I never I said I didn’t have a dress. I just mean that I couldn’t buy a new one. I’m wearing the dress I wore to my birthday dinner,” I explained, remembering the night perfectly. The first time Chris legally kissed me.

            Casey cocked an eyebrow. “I don’t think I’ve seen that dress.”

            “No one has, except Chris and Jeremy, and I doubt they’ll care,” I told her.

            “So what did you spend your money on then? Something for your car?”

            I shook my head. “No… Um, on Chris’s Valentine’s Day and birthday presents,” I admitted quietly, stopping in front of the lab room.

            “It’s his birthday? Oh my god! I have to say happy birthday—”

            “No!”

            She looked at me like I was crazy. “Why not?”

            “He doesn’t know I know,” I confessed, dropping my gaze. “I didn’t even know until Jeremy told me.”

            “Why didn’t he tell you?” she asked, sounding confused.

I shrugged. “I don’t know, but it’s a good thing Jeremy told me or I wouldn’t have even said happy birthday to him.”

“So, then, what did you get him?” she questioned, looking excited again. “Tell me!”

Shaking my head, I grinned again. “I’ll tell you after I give it to him. No offense to you, but you might blurt something out.”

She pouted at me. “Fine. Can you tell me tonight?”

“I’m giving it to him after the dance.”

“Birthday sex?”

I smiled wryly. She and Jeremy really were the perfect couple.

“Casey!”

The sudden voice in my ear caused me to start. Casey’s eyes snapped behind me, a shy smile spreading across her face. To my amazement, she looked a little nervous. She never looked nervous. Turning my head, I felt my heart drop into my gut as Aaron came into view.