:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Twenty-Three

“I want to try the chicken.”

            “Huh?”

            Chris ignored my confusion, jabbing his fork into my salad, and retrieving a piece of my chicken. He studied it for a moment before placing it cautiously into his mouth. After a second he made a face. “Undercooked.”

            I stared at him, trying to make sense of what was happening. Why wasn’t he angry? I’d just told him Aaron knew Shawn! There should have been some type of reaction from him. “Chris, I—”

            “Want another piece of steak?”

            “No, I—”

            “More for me.”

            My eyes widened in disbelief. Why was he avoiding the subject? Maybe he didn’t hear me right. “Chris, Aaron knows—”

            He interrupted me by yawning loudly. “I wonder what kind of deserts they have here…”

            “Mr. Heywood!” I burst angrily, setting my fist down on the table. “I’m trying to tell you something! Stop interrupting me!”

            A flicker of amusement appeared in his eyes. “Mr. Heywood?”

            I flushed, not releasing my angry gaze. “Chris, whatever.”

            “Why would you ruin a nice dinner by saying that?”

            “Huh?”

            His stern eyes bore into my own. “You know, Holly.”

            “I-I just thought you’d want to know,” I responded, my voice faltering under his gaze.

            A light sigh left his lips and he shook his head. “You really know how to ruin the mood.”

            “Sorry,” I snapped.

            He chuckled, reaching across the table to put his hand over mine. “It’s fine, Holly. Really. But since you brought it up we’re going to talk about it, and you’re going to tell me everything, got it?”

            “Well the thing is…”

            “Holly.”

            “He didn’t really tell me anything else,” I confessed, lowering my gaze to my salad plate, zeroing in on a round cherry tomato. I hadn’t really thought about what would happen after I told him. Didn’t Aaron warn me not to tell him?

            Chris squeezed my hand roughly. “Look up, Holly.”

            Begrudgingly, I did. “Aaron also warned me not to tell you he told me, so make so he doesn’t find out I told you.”

            “He threatened you?”

            “No, warned.”

            The change in Chris’s demeanor was drastic. He no longer looked lighthearted and happy. He looked angry. “It’s the same thing.”

            “No it’s not,” I protested quietly.

            “What are you talking about? Yes it is. I’m going to force that boy to tell me everything he knows.”