:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Ten

“Are you sure you want to go?”

            “I don’t want to be rude…”

            “Not going won’t be rude.”

            “But it’s a welcoming party.”

            Chris gave me a flat look. “That doesn’t mean you have to feel obliged to go.”

            I pursed my lips at him. “Do you not want me to go?”

            “I want you to come over,” he returned. “Friday nights are our thing. Not new boy and new girl night.”

            “Are you jealous I’ll be seeing Aaron?”

            He snorted. “I don’t get jealous.”

            A smile crossed my face. “So I guess Jeremy doesn’t exist?”

            “He’s a different story, since you seem to be interested in older men.”

            My face flushed causing Chris to smirk. Unbuckling my seatbelt, I reached for the door, which he proceeded to lock. I gave him an impatient look. “Not this again, Chris.”

            He gave me an innocent look. “Not what?”

            I unlocked the door again and quickly went for the handle.

            Click.

            I flipped the lock again.

            Click.

            “Stop it!”

            “Promise me you won’t be tempted to drink alcohol,” he requested, leaning towards me in his seat. “I don’t want you doing something you’ll regret.”

            I turned my head to him, frowning. “I don’t drink, Chris.”

            “I know you don’t. But I know you. If there’s enough peer pressure, you’ll give in.”

            “I would not!”

            He cocked an eyebrow.

            “Okay, fine, I would,” I murmured, dropping my gaze. “But I promise I won’t drink no matter what.”

            Chris still didn’t look happy. “It’s not that I don’t trust you, Holly.”

            “It’s Aaron you don’t trust?”

            “How did you know?”

            His sudden hard tone made me blink in surprise. “Um, what?”

            He shut his eyes for a moment, shaking his head. “Nothing. Never mind.”

            “No, not never mind—”

            “You’ll be late if you don’t go,” he cut me off.

            “Chris. We don’t keep things from each other…”

            He stared at me for a moment, finally letting out a small sigh. “Can you really be the one to say that, Holly?”

            My eyes widened. What was he talking about? “W-what do you mean?”