thirty one - the world comes crashing down

chapter xxxi.

❝ What are you saying Liam

❝ What are you saying Liam... stop it! ❞

la push, washington
april 2, 2008

ABSOLUTE SILENCE filled the room after the news was dropped on a mother that couldn't wait to see her son return home. No words could leave her mouth as she tried to say something but the only thing that came out was a sob. Her cries drifted through the room breaking Liam's heart to its last pieces. He couldn't bear to look at her in the eyes as she broke down in tears.

"We are very sorry for your loss ma'am."

Finding the strength within, Liam finally dared to look up and see the distraught state that the young mother was in as she desperately clutched at her chest, red face, and tears rushing down her face. He didn't even pay attention to when one of the soldiers stepped towards the grieving mother and tried to comfort her the best he could.

"I think it would be best if you left," Liam finally spoke up with a shakiness in his voice that was hard to pass.

"Of course."

Liam walked the soldiers out the door before closing it behind them. For a moment he just stood in front of the door as Mary's screams and cries filled his ears. The way her choking sobs left her lips and her screams of Josiah's name finally broke the soldier. Tears flowed down his eyes as a sob made its way out of his lips. His legs felt weak as he made his way back to Mary. Slowly making his way towards her, he wrapped his arms around her as she continued to let out cries of her son's name that would not be coming home.

His grip tightened on her, burying her face against his neck, letting her cry against him. Her shaking body only caused him to hug her tighter in an effort to ease her pain. Sobs had his body shaking as well as he desperately tried to hold back his own cries of despair and grief, so he could focus on the grieving mother, which he considered as his own, in his arms.

To make matters worse the stress being put on her body caused Mary to have a heart attack which only made Liam panic more and immediately call for an ambulance. Watching as the paramedics lifted her into the ambulance was enough for Liam to break out into more sobs, trying to keep them back by covering his mouth. His blurred vision made it harder for him to dial Sue's number and give her the news of Mary.

"Oh my god, Liam! I'm on my way. We can head to the hospital together."

Liam couldn't even answer her as he hung up the phone and collapsed right on the small porch. All he could do was wrap his arms around himself and let his emotions bleed out. He cried and cried at the loss of his best friend and brother. He couldn't deal with the immense amount of pain that hurt his chest. Sue arrived moments after their call ended and together they made their way to Forks hospital where Mary would be treated.