thirty nine - earning justice

chapter xxxix.

❝ What's going on in that head of yours? ❞

seattle, washington
august 2, 2008

WAKING UP a quarter past midnight, Josiah rolled around in discomfort at the- phantom limb pain he was currently facing. He tried to rub at his leg to ease the pain but nothing seemed to work, making him lose precious hours of sleep he wasn't able to get from the plane ride. Sighing in frustration, the soldier sat up on his bed before reaching over to grab his prosthetic leg leaning against the nightstand besides his bed.

Carefully swinging both legs over the side of the bed, Josiah proceeded to attach the fake leg onto his right knee. Taking a few seconds to get used to it, Josiah stood himself up slowly and made his way to the bathroom. He washed his face and took some painkillers for his leg.

Half limping, due to the pain, the light haired male walked over to the huge window showing him a perfect view of the city and opened the blinds. Rain fell from the dark sky while the moon illuminated the streets. Walking to the small set up by the tv, Josiah made himself some black coffee. It was disgusting but all he wanted was something to help him fall back asleep. Taking his cup of coffee, Josiah made his way back to the window and sat down on a chair he had dragged over to watch the night sky.

While taking small sips from his cup, Josiah used his free hand to massage the point where his leg and prosthetic met, trying to ease the burning feeling. Looking down at his right leg brought unpleasant and painful memories of when he was learning how to walk with it. Although he was better at walking on his own, Josiah still struggled to get used to the idea of not having his own leg.

A knock on his door broke his concentration, making him place down his coffee, grunting as he managed to get himself off the wooden chair. Opening the door, he was surprised to find Liam. Letting him in, both soldiers made their way to the bed in the middle of the room and sat down, leaning their backs against the headboard.

"Can't sleep?" Liam asked.

Josiah let out a sigh and reached down to his leg, "No."

Beside him, Liam followed his friend's hand to his prosthetic. Watching the way his friend grimaced in discomfort made him frown.

"Me neither."

Together they sat in silence, simply enjoying the peace that the rainy night gave off. Their eyes watched the drops of rain hit the window and slide down, following the trail left behind.

"Are you nervous?" Liam turned his head to look at his friend.

Josiah remained looking straight ahead at the window, "I'm more excited... I miss seeing her. As well as my mother and Paul."