eleven - danger

chapter xi.

❝ This vampire is here for the both of you and he will not stop ❞

la push, washington
june 12, 2007

IT WAS past midnight when Paul returned home to check on both Josiah and Liam ― mostly Liam. After leaving his brother and friend to chase after the vampire, Paul made sure to call out to Sam and the rest of his pack. For the next three hours the pack had been looking around the woods close to Mary's house to see if they could catch the vampire's scent again.

Josiah couldn't take his eyes off Liam. He seemed super relaxed; like he had not just witnessed his best friend's little brother turning into a giant wolf.

"Liam... you okay?"

Not bothering to look over to his friend, Liam nodded. His face was relaxed but his eyes gave away his confusion, yet awe, of what he had seen.

"Did... Did that man seem familiar to you?" Liam didn't know why it felt weird saying man since that's what he was but deep down he felt like there was more to that man in the woods that did not settle right with him.

Josia's eyebrows furrowed, thinking back to the man in the woods. Trying to figure out if he had seen him before. His eyes widened slightly. "Partenkirchen, Germany."

Liam and Josiah seemed to be recalling the memory from their time spent in Germany back in 2003 before their thoughts were interrupted by Paul and Sam entering the house.

"Liam," Sam didn't take his eyes off the soldier, "We should talk."

Josiah and Paul stood back as Sam began explaining everything about the supernatural world. Surprisingly, Liam was able to digest all the information quite well.

"Why aren't you freaking out Pim?" Paul approached Liam hesitantly, afraid he might cause Liam to run away like his brother did.

Shrugging Liam looked over at the Lahote siblings, his eyes lingering on Paul, "I don't know."

"I freaked out the first time I saw him." Josiah laughed softly, "I ran to Colorado. Away from all of this."

"Oh," Liam nodded understandingly, "That's why you came to Colorado."

Josiah nodded, "Yeah."

"So," Liam stood up from his position on the couch, "Who was the pale man in the woods?"

Paul and Sam shared a look, "A leech that crossed into our land."

"We should head over to my house." Sam sighed. "The rest of the pack is already there."

It was 5:00 am and the Quileute pack found themselves sitting down at the small living room. Liam and Josiah watched as the members of the tribe discussed their change in patrols now that a new vampire was lingering in their reservation. Knowing that it was not their place to speak up, Josiah and Liam kept their thoughts to themselves.

Standing side by side, Liam and Josiah were both lost in their thoughts as they thought back to their brief conversation they had back at Josiah's house.

"Should we say something?" Liam whispered so that only Josiah could hear.

Josiah turned to his friend and opened his mouth as if to say something but was interrupted by Seth, "Say what?"

The pack's attention drifted towards the soldiers in the room once Seth had addressed a question to both of them. Super hearing. Liam shrugged at Josiah and motioned for him to tell them.

"Four years, Liam and I ― along with other men from our unit ― were sent to Partenkirchen, Germany. There, we completed some basic training before we would be sent to our deployment in Afghanistan. During our time in Germany we encountered... a man... a very pale man with red eyes."

A small gasp escaped Emily's lips, causing the tension in the Uley-Young household to thicken.

Liam continued after Josiah, "The man didn't approach us. He just stood there and watched us with... this hunger in his eyes. Before we knew it, he was gone. Just disappeared."

"We continued on with our training and then we were shipped off to Afghanistan a month later," Josiah finished their story.

"The man we saw yesterday," Liam spoke up after finishing their encounter, "He was the same man we saw in Germany."

After the words left his mouth, something clicked in the pack. The vampire followed Liam and Josiah's scents all the way here from Germany.

"You two are to stay here," Sam ordered, "This vampire is here for the both of you and he will not stop."

"Wait what?" Josiah was utterly confused.

"This is what leeches do," Paul spoke up, Josiah could see the worry in his deep brown eyes.

"So we're just supposed to stay here and wait until you... kill it?" Liam questioned with disbelief in his eyes. The supernatural world was falling down on him fast. He felt like his mind could not keep up with everything that was happening. The pack didn't say anything; what could they say.

Liam and Josiah spent the rest of the day with Emily, Paul, and Leah in the house ― Paul and Leah refused to leave.

Josiah and Leah were currently sitting outside the fairly large house while trying to maintain a conversion that didn't involve the vampire that was after him and his best friend.

"How come I never saw you?" Josiah asked Leah with a small smile on his lips.

"What do you mean?"

"After my family moved down to the reservation," Josiah maintained eye contact with the beautiful Clearwater girl, "I spent a whole year in La Push before my father took me away to put me in military school."

Leah chuckled, "You probably did see me but saw me completely different."

"My hair reached all the way down to my waist and I was pretty short; I also kept to myself. Didn't talk to anyone really."

The gentle expression on Josiah's face almost made Leah coo and kiss him right then. However, she managed to hold herself back. He was barely starting to understand and get used to the imprint link ― she didn't want to ruin that. Unbeckons to her, all that Josiah could think about was kissing her.

The two imprints continued to stare at each other, never once breaking eye contact. Without realising it they both started to lean towards each other. Josiah's eyes switched from looking down at her lips to her beautiful, dark brown eyes. Both Leah's and Josiah's hearts could be heard from a mile away from the intensity of each heartbeat once their noses touched. Their breaths mixed together as their lips were only millimeters apart.

Leah's concentration broke away from her imprint as the sickeningly sweet smell reached her nose, causing her to pull away from the Lahote in front of her. A look of hurt overlooked Josiah's face, breaking Leah's heart.

"Jay get inside," Leah stepped in front of her imprint in a protective manner. Her eyes narrowed as she looked around the woods that surrounded the Uley-Young house. The sight of the vampire standing by a tree on her right side had her growling and shaking.

"Paul!" Leah yelled out for the youngest Lahote before running at full speed towards the vampire, phasing midway. Joaish could only stand back and watch in amazement as the Clearwater girl phased into a giant white-greyish wolf. The eldest ahote didn't even notice when his younger brother ran out of the house after Leah and the vampire ― phasing as well.