twelve - the cullens

chapter xii.

❝ This is like another Bella situation all over again ❞

forks, washington
june 13, 2007

JOSIAH WALKED up to the small building and went straight to the counter where a young girl stood. The eldest Lahote ordered an iced coffee, paid for it, and made his way back out into the hot cloudy weather of Forks, Washington.

It had only been a couple of hours since the pack announced the death of the vampire that followed both Liam and Josiah to Washington from Germany. Apparently they had managed to corner him before he could get away ― Liam was grateful at the news but Josiah couldn't help but feel uneasy about the situation. After it was all over, the Lahote siblings and Liam went back to Mary's house to rest up; however, Josiah found himself being woken up not even an hour later by nightmares. Because of this, Josiah decided to go out and clear his head with a drive up to Forks.

The young soldiers did not spend that much time in the small neighboring town of Forks. Even when he used to live on the reservation when he was a kid.

Sweat formed at the side of the young soldier's head as he walked back to his Jeep. He was planning on heading back down to the reservation and maybe go down to the beach to cool off. Thankfully the clouds managed to block off the rays of sunlight but it was unable to block the suffocating heat.

Josiah's eyebrows furrowed in confusion at the sight of a stranger standing next to his car. The sight of bright red eyes staring back at him made Josiah freeze on the spot. The pack hadn't stopped to think that maybe more than one vampire might have resided in Forks as well as the reservation. Josiah did not know what to do ― what could he do.

"Josiah!" The calling of his name broke his gaze from the red eyed man standing a couple of feet in front of him.

"Dr. Cullen." At the sight of the doctor, the red eyed stranger seemed to have disappeared right before Josiah's eyes. The young soldier blinked numerous times in shock. Carlisle Cullen's eyes moved frantically from side to side in hopes of catching a glimpse of the vampire that stood before him and Josiah a few seconds before. Thankfully he managed to latch onto the vampire's scent.

Josiah Lahote released a shaky breath he didn't even realize he was holding before facing the blond doctor. At the sight of the doctor, something seemed to click for Josiah. "You're one of them aren't you?"

The corners of the doctor's lips slanted down into a frown and a blank look overtook his eyes, "You know about my world?"

Josiah nodded hesitantly and shifted on his feet in discomfort, "Vampire and werewolves."

Carlisle looked around to make sure no one else was around to hear what Josiah said before focusing back onto the eldest Lahote, "Come with me."

The young soldier didn't know why he followed after the doctor. Something about him gave Josiah the impression that he could trust him, even if he was a vampire. God, it felt weird for Josiah to think of someone as a vampire.