thirty six - difficult decision making

chapter xxxvi.

❝ What are you trying saying? ❞

baghdad, iraq
july 10 - july 12, 2008

UNABLE TO tear his eyes away from his unconscious friend in front of him, Liam Henderson kept a tight grip on Josiah's arm. He had been sitting right next to his friend for half an hour now, refusing to leave his side in case he woke up. The sound of footsteps approaching the room caused him to look away from Josiah's face, giving the two generals a small glance before turning his attention back to his friend.

"Corporal Henderson," General Evans stepped closer to the bed and the soldier seated next to it, "We really need to discuss some things with you. If you could please follow us."

As much as he wished to ignore them and continue to look after his friend, another part of him really wanted to know what they would like to discuss with him. Did it have to deal with Josiah?

Nodding to the general, Liam stood up from his seat and with one last glance towards his sleeping friend, the soldier followed the generals to another secluded part of the hospital. Stepping inside the room, Liam's eyes immediately focused on the doctor seated at the end of the table in the center of the room, looking through some paperwork.

The sound of the door opening and footsteps entering tore the doctor's eyes from the piles of paper in front of him. He stood up and approached the man, extending his hand for Liam to shake, "I'm Doctor Dunn. I am in charge of Corporal Josiah Lahote."

At the mere mention of his friend, Liam's eyes brightened and he shook the blonde haired doctor's hand. "He is my friend. How is he? When will he wake up?"

"Corporal Henderson please," General Evans stepped up, "Let the doctor speak."

The soldier stepped back, giving the doctor some space and apologized. "Please sit down," the doctor pointed at the many chairs surrounding the table, "I need to discuss a very important matter with you."

Following the doctor's lead, Liam sat across from the doctor. Taking a deep breath, Doctor Dunn interlocked his hands before looking straight at the soldier in front of him, the serious look in his eyes made Liam anxious. "I won't sugarcoat things soldier," the doctor started, "You're friend's condition is not good."

And just like that, all the hope that Liam felt in the beginning began to diminish. Not wasting any time, the doctor continued to run down on Josiah's condition, dampening Liam's mood even further.

"Josiah Lahote received numerous wounds that left him in a state of comatose. He has several broken ribs that punctured his lungs, left arm is shattered, lost his pinky and ring finger in his left hand, and we had to amputate the lower part of his right leg."