twenty three - brothers

chapter xxiii.

❝I'm just scared of anything happening to you

❝I'm just scared of anything happening to you...❞

la push, washington
december 18, 2007

PAUL LAHOTE was a hot head. Everyone in La Push knew that and made sure to stay out of his way at whatever cost. Paul always wondered why he was the one that inherited his father's bad temper while Josiah got their mother's calming, gentle nature. He never understood that.

Recently he felt as if the whole world was out to get him, making him angrier than ever. Deep inside he just felt alone. His imprint left back to New York for college and his brother left him to go back to the army. And he couldn't help but hate his brother for choosing such a dangerous job which could end his life in an instant.

Just of the thought of his brother never coming back home made his blood run cold. From a young age, Paul always looked up to his older brother and always wanted to become just like him when he was older. But instead became a giant dog.

A heavy sigh escaped his lips, his eyes watching the growing puppy in front of him; Ollie ran back and forth with a yellow tennis ball in his mouth, tail wagging. Smiling, Paul called back the puppy and retrieved the ball from his mouth before throwing it back out. The puppy happily ran after it with his tongue sticking out.

Paul felt someone approaching him and looked up to find his mother making him smile and scoot over so she could sit down as well. She sat down and didn't say anything, so he looked back towards Ollie.

Minutes went by without either of them saying anything until his mother pulled out an envelope out of nowhere and held it out towards him. Paul grabbed it, hesitantly, and looked at it in confusion.

"It's a letter from your brother."

He didn't say anything and just held the letter in his hand, afraid to open it. Paul knew his mother and Leah had told Josiah that he was afraid to Skype call him ― not wanting to see the condition he could possibly be in.

Noticing his hesitation, Mary grabbed onto his hand that held the letter and gave it a comforting squeeze, "I'll go make some dinner."

Paul nodded with a small smile and turned back to look at Ollie playing in the grass. His mother disappeared inside the house which left him with his own thoughts and the letter in his hand. Sensing his dread, Ollie made his way over to him and laid his head on his lap — Paul smiled down at the puppy, scratching his head.

"Let's open this, shall we Ollie?"

Slowly, and carefully, Paul made sure to open the envelope and began pulling out what was inside. The shifter pulled out a picture which he could see included both Liam and Josiah, as well as another man he didn't recognize. A smile made its way on his lips at the sight of his brother smiling widely with his arms wrapped around Liam's shoulders.

"Look Ollie," Paul lowered the picture to the puppies face, "Do you remember him?"

For a second Paul thought the puppy would just try to take the picture and rip it apart but the only thing Ollie did was stare at the picture before letting out a small whine and lowered his head to the ground.

Paul sighed. "Yeah, I miss him too."

He remained staring at the picture; more specifically staring at his brother, Josiah, with a sad smile. Paul set the picture to the side and opened up the letter that came with the picture.

Hey little brother!

Hope you liked the picture. I wanted you to see that I am doing okay over here and can't wait to come back home in a couple more months.

Mother told me why you won't join the Skype calls when I call ― which I understand. I know you have never really liked what I do and always resented me for leaving you when I first joined, but I just want you to know that I am well and I will always fight to come back home to my family. You just need to believe in me; I need that from you.

I hope to see you on the next Skype call I make. I really want to see you, I miss my little brother! Love you, take care of mom and look out for Leah for me.

Paul felt like crumpling up the letter and throwing it away but the guilt forming in the pit of his stomach stopped him. He didn't know what to feel.

Folding the letter back and placing it in its envelope, Paul stood up and walked inside his house ― Ollie following after him. Once inside he went straight for the phone and dialed the numbers. He only waited a couple of seconds before the call went through and the voice of his brother fell on his ear.

"Hello?"

Paul felt himself freeze upon hearing his brother's voice from the other end. He didn't even know why he called him in the first place. He just did it without thinking.

"I got your picture," Paul finally said after staying quiet, "And your letter." Not hearing his brother's response made his palms sweat.

"I'm glad," Josiah stated, "Take care of that picture for me as well."

Another silence fell between them and Paul absolutely hated it. Thankfully his brother was the once that broke the silence, "Listen... Paul... about the letter..."

"I understand Jay."

"You do?"

"Yeah... it's just..." Paul's voice wavered, "I'm just scared of anything happening to you..."

Josiah remained quiet on the other end, trying to find the right words to say. Deep down all that Paul wanted was reassurance from his big brother. He wanted to hear Josiah say the words that he will come back home. Safe.

"Paul I promise you... I promise I will try everything in my power to come back home to you and mom. Do you understand me? I need you to understand and not worry about me. Focus on protecting the tribe and taking care of our mother, okay?"

"Okay... just come back."

"I will," noise came from the side of Josiah's line, "I have to go, but I expect you to be in the next Skype call I make, which is in a couple of days."

Paul let out a chuckle, "I will, take care."

"You too."