sixteen - the tragedy

chapter xvi.

❝ I hate both of you ❞

kabul, afghanistan
november 24, 2005

THE CHILLY weather made Josiah shiver and wrap his coat tighter around himself. When he exhaled he could see his breath drift along the morning sky. The soldier stood right outside his sleeping cabin he shared with other men from his unit — wanting to see the sunrise.

"Damn it's cold!" Josiah chuckled at his friend, watching him rub his arms in order to warm them up. Nate walked up to him with a heavy coat, enveloping his whole body. Winters in Afghanistan were just as brutal as the heat during the summer. Both soldier's stood in silence as they watched the sun slowly rise and brighten the empty sky.

"I think it's going to snow today."

Nate groaned beside him, stuffing his hands deeper in his pockets to keep them warm. "I really hope not."

Sighing, Josiah slapped Nate's back. "Let's go."

The soldiers made their way back inside their sleeping area and decided to wake the rest of their friend's up; starting with Liam. Smirking, Nate walked over to Liam's bed, grabbed the side of his bed and started tilting it to one side. This caused the sleeping soldier to wake up abruptly, reaching his hands out to grab onto something to prevent him from falling. He was unsuccessful.

Liam groaned as his back hit the cold floor. "What the hell..."

Nate and Josiah laughed as they watched their friend wiggle in pain on the ground, "Wakey, wakey Pim."

"I hate both of you." Liam muttered through his teeth. All he got was more laughs from Nate and Josiah.

"Alright, let's go wake up Samuel next," Josiah wiped his eyes and made his way to their other sleeping friend.

On the count of three both Josiah and Nate jumped on top of their drooling friend. The heavy weight that fell on top of him caused the sleeping man to grunt out as the oxygen was knocked out of him.

"Sammy!" Nate yelled against the man's ear, "Wake up!"

Samuel jumped up knocking both Josiah and Nate to the ground, "Fuck off."

The two soldiers just laughed and it wasn't long before Liam joined in. Samuel glared at his friend before wrapping himself in his blanket in an attempt to try and go back to sleep.

"Oh no," Nate stood up and snatched the blankets away from Samuel, "Time to get up."

Samuel groaned in protest, "I hate you."

Nate chuckled. "Yeah, I've heard that before."

Nate began pulling Samuel up from his bed, "Come on! I'm starving, I need food!"