eighteen - don't leave me

chapter xviii.

❝ I don't want to lose you

❝ I don't want to lose you. Not when I just found you ❞

la push beach
june 23, 2007

LEAH'S BODY heat caused goosebumps to form against the young soldier's left arm where the Clearwater girl had her head rested. Liking the salty smell that wafted from the ocean in front of them, Josiah rested his own head on top of the girl next to him, feeling completely at peace. He always felt this way when he was around her.

Screams and whoops were heard from their left of where they sat where the rest of the pack, and Liam, were playing soccer on the sand ― the imprints sat on the sideline, cheering them on.

The past couple of days had been the highlight of everyone's lives since it consisted of Josiah asking Leah to be his girlfriend, Josiah and Paul having brotherly time, Liam and the pack playing soccer at the beach, and overall the pack didn't have to deal with any vampires in their territory. Everything was looking up to the pack and the soldiers.

However, as the days passed by quicker than ever, the day that the soldiers would be returning to Afghanistan dawned upon them. This caused the pack to treasure every time spent with the soldiers, especially Leah and Paul.

"Paul told Sam if they could do a farewell bonfire tomorrow."

Josiah chuckled at Leah's words, "Of course he did."

Leah sat up straight and glanced over to her imprint, looking away once her eyes met his. "What is it?" Josiah questioned, noting the change in the Clearwater girl's behavior.

Avoiding the soldier's gaze, Leah kept her eyes on the crashing waves. She could feel Josiah's eyes on her but couldn't bring herself to say the words she desperately wanted. Josiah's rough, calloused hands grabbed onto hers, gaining her attention.

"Leah? You can tell me... whatever is bothering you."

Leah held his gaze, his light brown eyes staring at her with such gentleness it made her heartache in adoration.

"Don't go."

Josiah opened his mouth to speak but Leah continued, not breaking eye contact, "Stay, stay here with me. With your brother, with your mother, with the pack. Don't go."

His heart broke at the sight of his girlfriend begging him to stay with tears in her eyes and lip trembling. All he wanted to do was pull her into his arms and never let her go. But he knew he couldn't stay.

"Leah... y-you know I can't..." Josiah sighed.

Leah scoffed, wiping the tears harshly that fell from her eyes, "Why not Josiah? Can't you just quit and stay here... with us... with me."

Josiah froze at the use of his name. In the past couple of days, Leah never called him by his name and instead went along with calling him Eli, his middle name. She was the only one who called him that. And now that she refused to call him that, he knew that she was angry with him and a fight will break out ― which he didn't want.

"I don't want to lose you. Not when I just found you."

The soldier didn't know what to say to that. He also didn't want to leave her but it was his duty to his country.

"You know I can't do that," Josiah whispered, not looking into her dark brown eyes filled with tears because of him, "I wish there was another way but..."

Josiah trailed off as Leah stood up and began walking away from him, tears streaming down her face, "Leah!" The soldier called out to the retreating woman, but she did not stop and continued walking away from the beach. Deciding to let her go so she could calm down, Josiah made his way over to the pack who had just finished their soccer game when he arrived.

Emily smiled at him as he sat down next to her, "Where's Leah?" The look on Josiah's face gave her the answer.

Later in the night, Josiah found himself sitting out on the small porch with Ollie laying on his lap, tongue sticking and everything. His hand made sure to rub his head or he would start whining and biting him.

He didn't know how long he was sitting in the dark, until he heard footsteps approaching his house. Ollie's ears twitched and he immediately sat up and started yapping. Josiah stood up with Ollie in his hands and went to go back inside but stopped when he spotted Leah coming out from behind a tree. At the sight of the Clearwater girl, Josiah relaxed and placed Ollie down who ran towards the woman.

"Hey Ollie," Leah smiled down at the pup. Josiah sat back down and waited for Leah to come over.

Leah sat down next to him with Ollie still in her arms. Both imprints remained silent, with only Ollie's soft growling and night creatures in the night.

"I'm sorry about the way I acted earlier," Leah frowned looking at her imprint, "I-I just... I don't want to lose you."

Josiah exhaled softly before grabbing the back of her neck and pulling her into a kiss. The kiss only lasted a couple of seconds but for them it felt like hours; they could never get enough of each other.

"Everything will be okay, I promise."

Leah could only nod, not wanting to bring up that he would be going back into the line of fire where anything could happen. For now, all she wanted to do now was enjoy the time she had left with her imprint.

◣▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔◢

║𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞!║

⋆∴༄ Sorry for the short chapter. I just wanted for you guys to see how Josiah leaving will have an impact on Leah. Also the next chapters are going to get crazier since Liam and Josiah will be heading back to Afghanistan. Hope you guys enjoy!

☾ radiantmoonx ☽