nine - meeting pim

chapter ix.

❝ Imprints? ❞

❝ Imprints? ❞

la push, washington
(black household)
june 10, 2007

UPON ARRIVING back at Sam and Emily's house, Josiah went straight to the kitchen where he helped Emily finish setting up the food for the bonfire while Leah went to help the guys set up everything in Jacob's house. Emily and Josiah spent the next hour silently finishing up the food and putting it in containers to be able to take them to the Black household.

"Phew," Emily let out a sigh while wiping the small sweat that was forming at the bridge of her brows, "That was the last batch of food."

Josiah chuckled, closing the lid of the last container, "Is it always like this when you have bonfires?"

Emily snorted, organizing the containers in bags to be easier to carry, "You bet."

"Alright well we should head out," Emily grunted as she grabbed two bags filled with food, "Sue and I are supposed to set everything up."

The eldest Lahote quickly took the bags from Emily's hands and grabbed the rest of the bags that were laying on the table. Emily tried to protest in helping but he wouldn't let her, causing her to let out a defeated huff. Josiah placed the bags in the back of Emily's car before getting in the front seat and Emily started the car, driving straight to Billy's house.

Jacob's house was a small, red cottage that reminded Josiah of his mother's house; except theirs was dark brown with a smaller porch and no platform ― which Josiah assumed was for helping Billy who was in a wheelchair.

Josiah helped Emily carry the bags to the back of the house where a table was set out and some of the boys were fetching wood for the fire. Immediately, Josiah spotted Leah who was helping Seth set up chairs around where the fire would be. A small smile made its way on his lips subconsciously.

"You can set the bags here Josiah," Emily spoke, breaking the young soldier's gaze from the Clearwater girl.

Setting down the bags Josiah asked if she needed any other help, which she denied, and made his way over to the black haired girl.

"Do you need any help?" Josiah couldn't help but smile as she glanced up at him. Her dark brown eyes staring back at him, making him think back to the first time he saw them.

"Ummm... sure," Leah struggled with her words, "I'm just finishing setting up these chairs."

"Okay." Josiah grabbed the chairs she was holding and began placing them around the pile of wood in the middle.

"So," Josiah cleared his throat, "What usually goes down at these bonfires?"

Paul had already, kind of, explained it to him but he wanted an excuse to start a conversation with the Clearwater girl.