thirty four - unexpected surprise

chapter xxxiv.

❝ I still don't understand

❝ I still don't understand. Do you need me to identify the bodies? ❞

baghdad, iraq
( camp victory army base )
july 10, 2008

ARRIVING IN Iraq Liam expected to be thrown in the line of fire once again. What he didn't expect is to be taken to Camp Victory in Baghdad and meet with both Major General Strand and General Evans.

Their presence made him nervous to the bone. What were they going to tell him? Were they going to send him on a private mission? He was used to being sent on private missions since most of the time, he and Josiah, along with other soldiers from their unit, were sent on important missions that needed to be handled privately.

But what else would be needed from him since Josiah, and various others, had done the hard job of capturing Arash Ghorbani. Had he escaped? Is that why they needed him back in Iraq?

So many questions filled the young soldier's mind. It was hard keeping up with his own thoughts.

"Glad to see you could make it soldier," Major General Strand walked past him and sat down on one of the sofas in the middle of the room, followed by General Evans, "It's alright soldier, at ease. We need to discuss some things."

Liam relaxed his tense shoulders and dropped his form, sitting down across from both Generals. Wiping his sweaty palms against his army pants, he focused his attention to both men in front of him who contained their expressions neutral. Not giving anything away.

"The thing we needed to discuss that could not be said over the phone," General Evans started, leaning forward slightly, "Was that we found the bodies of both Corporal Reed and Corporal Lahote."

His breathing halted, heart dropped, and body went cold. Did they fly him to Iraq to identify which body was which? Was that it?

A sick feeling made its way at the pit of his stomach.

"W-What―" Liam struggled to comprehend what was being said to him, "I-I... I don't understand..."

General Evans clasped his hands together, "I know it's a lot to process... a lot happened in the past three months."

"I think it would be best if we showed you," Major General Strand stood up, followed by General Evans, "Follow us Corporal."

It took the soldier a second before he found the strength to stand up and follow up after both Generals. His whole body felt numb. A cold shiver ran up his spine as he walked behind them. Keeping his gaze on the ground, all he could think about was seeing his friend's bodies in front of him― he didn't think he would be able to handle it.

Arriving at the military hospital, where many injured soldiers were treated, Liam found himself holding in his breath.

Inside the hospital, many injured soldiers were getting treated causing Liam to avoid looking at them. The feeling of guilt invaded his senses which made him unable to look anywhere else rather than his boots.

"In here." Major General Strand's voice made the soldier look up.

They were now in a secluded part of the hospital. With furrowed eyebrows, Liam finally asked the question that has been nagging him since he arrived back in Iraq, "I still don't understand. Do you need me to identify the bodies?"

Not saying anything, the generals gave each other a look and proceeded to lead the confused and anxious soldier through the hallway.

"Liam?"

The said soldier froze at the sound of a voice he never thought he'd hear again. His head immediately turned to find Samuel laying in a hospital bed covered in bandages and casts.

"S-Samuel?" Stuttering out his name, Liam approached his friend. His feet felt heavy as he forced himself to move.

'He's alive... and if he's alive then...'

His heart started to race as a thought filled his head making him hopeful. Samuel could only smile, noticing the look in his friend's eyes; he looked beside him to give Liam a hint. Looking to the bed beside Samuel's, Liam's feet moved on their own and pulled the curtain back harshly.

Liam choked back on his breath and his heart felt like it would jump out of his body with how fast it was beating against his chest.

On the bed that was covered by the curtain to separate him from Samuel's laid Josiah Lahote. He had a tube shoved down his throat to help him breath, his left hand was covered in bandages while his right arm was put in a cast. Half his face was also covered by large patches, bandages, bruises, and cuts. Liam could only stare in disbelief.

"Jay..." Saying his best friend's name again in months felt weird against his tongue. Moving slowly, Liam was hesitant to approach him at all. Fearing that he would disappear into thin air. With a shaky hand, the soldier reached out and grabbed onto Josiah's arm― wanting to make sure he was real and in front of him. A sob escaped his mouth and tears rushed down his face, "Oh my god," Liam could only cry, burying his face against his friend's arm; pure euphoria spreading all throughout Liam's body.

"Like we said," General Evans interrupted Liam's moment, "We need to discuss some things."

◣▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔◢

║𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞!║

⋆∴༄ Sorry for the short chapter but a lot of you really wanted to know if Josiah was still alive so here it is haha! Hope you still enjoy :) Also, just to let everyone know, this story is almost over! Can you believe it? I'm really happy! Hope you've all really enjoyed and thank you for sticking through it, I really appreciate all your support.

☾ radiantmoonx ☽