six - brown eyes

chapter vi.

❝ Who was she? ❞

❝ Who was she? ❞

la push, washington
june 9, 2007

ARRIVING BACK at La Push felt strange to Josiah. After all, he now knew about the boys that turned into wolves to protect the reservation from vampires. God, if someone were to hear what Josiah was thinking they would definitely throw him in a mental hospital. At the thought the eldest Lahote let out a humorless chuckle ― gaze staring straight at his home.

His mother stood at the top of the porch with her hands wrapped around herself and glossy eyes. The young soldier smiled softly up at his mother before taking a step forward and pulling her into a hug. Mary did not hesitate as she wrapped her arms around her son almost immediately. After five solid seconds passed Josiah gently pulled away and they both walked back inside the small house.

Once they were both seated in the living room Josiah apologized to his mother for leaving her and not handling the situation better. Mary was quick to dismiss his apology and told him it wasn't his fault for the way he reacted ― she explained everything that she knew.

"How is um... how is Paul?" Josiah avoided eye contact with his mother as he asked the question.

Mary smiled softly and placed a reassuring hand on her son's trembling one, "He asked about you. And has been staying with Sam for the past three days."

Josiah nodded along to what his mother was telling him; however, his mind was still clouded with the thought of having to see his brother face to face after seeing him turn into a giant wolf and then leaving for three days. It would not be an easy task.

The young soldier found himself slowly walking in the direction of Sam and Emily's house after his mother convinced him to go talk to his brother. With sweaty palms and shaky breaths the young soldier walked up the small porch and knocked twice on the wooden door.

"Josiah!" Emily's voice contained a mix of surprise and relief.

"Hey Emily."

"Please, come in." Emily opened the door further and allowed Josiah to step through.

An awkward silence filled the room once Josiah stepped in, "Is um... Paul here?"

Emily shook her head, "He's out with Sam and the rest of the guys for um... patrol..."

The eldest Lahote gave Emily a confused look, "Patrol?"

"It's um... it's what they do each day to make sure no vampires are in the area..." Josiah stared at Emily after the words left her mouth.

"Of course," Josiah mumbled looking down at his feet before forcing a smile on his face and looking back up at Emily, "Do you um know when they'll be back?"