eight - josiah lahote and leah clearwater

chapter viii.

❝ Can we talk? ❞

❝ Can we talk? ❞

la push, washington
june 10, 2007

JOSIAH LAHOTE could not sleep the night he returned from Sam and Emily's house. After making eye contact with the dark brown eyes of the woman he later found out was named Leah, he couldn't seem to focus on anything else.

It was 3:00 am when the young soldier woke up with a loud gasp and choking sounds. He frantically looked around the room before his eyes settled on his younger brother sleeping peacefully with Ollie curled up at the end of his bed, by his feet. Sitting up Josiah let out a sigh before getting up from his bed and walked out towards the kitchen.

Josiah opened the fridge and grabbed a water bottle before making his way outside to the open air. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Lifeless eyes invaded his mind that forced him to snap his eyes back open as his heartbeat increased by the second. Knowing he was about to have a panic attack, Josiah sat down on the steps of the small porch. He needed something to ground himself.

It felt like hours as Josiah struggled to get air into his lungs when he was finally able to calm down; however, the tightness in his chest did not subside. Josiah stayed out until he saw the sunrise invade the night sky.

"How long have you been out here?" Josiah felt something wet rub against his cheek which caused him to flinch away but relaxed when he found Ollie looking up at him with his tail wagging.

"I don't know." The eldest Lahote looked up to Paul, grabbing Ollie and rubbing his head which the small pup seemed to enjoy.

A frown made its way on Paul's face as he let out a quiet sigh, "You okay?"

Josiah nodded while avoiding eye contact with Paul, "I'm fine." Paul clearly didn't believe him but decided against questioning him about it.

Paul sat down next to his brother, "I'm heading to Sam and Emily's to help with the bonfire tonight. Do you want to come?"

At the mention of Sam and Emily's house caught Josiah's attention which caused him to look over to Paul; the youngest Lahote smirking down at his brother

"Y-Yeah sure, I'll come," Josiah and Paul got up from their position on the porch and made their way inside their house, "Wait, what bonfire?"

"Oh it's just a bonfire that the tribe does once in a while over at Jacob's house. Billy tells legends of our tribe. It's really a get together among the tribe."

Josiah simply nodded and made his way to his room where he heard his phone ringing from underneath his pillow. His eyebrows furrowed as he picked up his phone and saw Liam's name come up on the caller ID.

"Liam! Hey," Josiah walked back to the kitchen where Paul was munching on some potato chips. The eldest Lahote gave his younger brother a disappointed look which only made Paul smirk and continue eating.