thirty two - the five stages

chapter xxxii.

❝ Denial. Anger. Bargaining. Depression. Acceptance. ❞

la push, washington
( 3 months later )
july 7, 2008

LIAM HENDERSON made sure to turn off the stove before grabbing the plates of food and taking them to the dining table where Mary sat. He also made sure to grab the pills from the counter with a cup of water for Mary to take her medication.

"Here you go Mary," Liam placed her plate of food in front of her, "Don't forget to take your medication."

Mary chuckled taking the pills and the cup of water, "Don't worry I won't."

The two silently ate their breakfast with the occasional conversation regarding both Mary's and Liam's work. The soldier could still see the lingering sadness behind her fake smiles and laughs. She was still hurting. And it made sense; after all, it had only been three months since they got the news of Josiah's passing.

"Will you be heading to see Leah?" Mary asked after finishing her breakfast and taking her pills.

Liam nodded and drank his cup of water, "I promised I would go over since it's my day off."

Mary nodded. "Paul is still coming over to get some new clothes, right?"

Liam smiled sadly, "Yeah, he said he would come over after school."

Ever since Liam gave the news to both Paul and Leah at Emily's house, Paul had disappeared for days after and only returned to take some stuff in order to live at Sam's house. He refused to sleep in the same room where his brother used to sleep or in the same house. It had broken Mary's heart which caused an argument to break out between Liam and Paul.

Although he refused to return home, Liam and Paul had worked things out and the soldier made the shifter promise to come see his mother every now and then. After washing the dishes and dropping Mary off at her place of work, Liam made his way to the Clearwater household.

Denial

It couldn't be true. It just couldn't be. He refused to believe it.

Paul's thoughts were everywhere and all he could think about was what Liam had said back at Emily's house. His brother was dead. Josiah was gone and was not coming back.

How could he believe such a thing.

'Paul! What's going on? What happened?' Jared's voice came unexpectedly.

He didn't answer and continued running. Because of their telepathy connection as a pack, Jared was able to see through Paul's mind and see what was bothering his friend.