prologue.

chapter 00.

❝ Eating cake for breakfast is not a crime ❞

parwan province, afghanistan
(bagram airfield )
may 24, 2007

SUNSHINE PEAKED over the mountains in the early morning. It served as a signal for the new day that every soldier in the Bagram airfield base awaited. One by one soldiers piled out of their bunkers with tired faces and messy hair.

However, one particular soldier stood outside his bunker with a bright smile on his face as he made his way to the field kitchen where breakfast was being served. Following the smell of bacon, Josiah made his way to the kitchen and did not hesitate in grabbing the plate of food which included: bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage, and pancakes. After grabbing his plate full of food, Josiah walked to an empty table and began eating. Josiah was barely on his second bite when he saw his best friends, Liam, and other friend, Sam, walk towards his table with their plates of food.

"I'm telling you, Liam," Sam chewed on a piece of cake as he sat down across from Josiah, "a guy in uniform, alone, at the bar will bring so many girls your way. It worked on me!" Once they were seated Josiah was able to make out what Sam was eating which made him stop mid-chew to give Sam a questioning look and glanced down at his hands that were holding a plate with cake.

"What? Eating cake for breakfast is not a crime." Both Josiah and Liam let out an amused chuckle as they watched their friends devour the rest of the cake.

As the soldiers finished their breakfast, they conversed between themselves about their excitement to finally head back home after so long. Josiah mentioned how he was most excited to see his mother and his little brother, Paul. Liam mentioned how he was just excited to sleep in his own bed again while Sam just wanted to go out and party. After finishing his breakfast, Josiah stood up and made his way to his bunker to pack the rest of his stuff.

"You're going to call Mary?" Asked Liam after seeing his friend leave the table. Josiah turned and sent him a thumbs up with a smile and continued on his way to his bunker.

Once inside Josiah grabbed his cell phone and dialed the numbers. Setting his phone in between his shoulder blade and cheek before beginning to pack the leftover clothes laid out on his bed.

"Hello?" Josiah smiled as he heard his mother's voice on the other line

"Hey, mama."

"Oh, baby! How are you? Why are you calling? Is everything okay?" Josiah laughed at his mother's concern.

"I'm okay mama. I'm just packing my stuff," Josiah paused to fix his phone that was slipping, "because I'm heading home."

There was silence on the other side of the line before a scream erupted causing Josiah to wince and drop his phone. He could still hear his mother screaming on the other line as he picked up his phone again but held it away from his ear till his mother stopped screaming.

A full minute went by with his mother screaming on the other line about all the things she was going to make him for when he came home and how she was going to clean up his room, so he sleeps in clean sheets. Josiah smiled fondly at his mother's excitement.

"Oh, I can't wait to tell Paul!"

"Wait, mom, no," Josiah quickly placed his phone back on his ear, "I want to surprise him."

His mother chuckled, "Okay Jay," and continued to list off all the things she will have ready for when he comes home. They spoke for half an hour when Josiah finally hung up his phone, after letting his mother know that he was going to finish packing, and continued to pack up the rest of his stuff that laid abandoned on his bed.

"You ready to head home," Josiah flinched in shock at the sudden voice that disturbed the silence that had fallen inside his bunker after he ended the call with his mother. Looking over his shoulder to find Liam standing by the door with a smirk on his face..

"Yeah," Josiah turned back around and zipped up his camouflage duffle bag, "I can't wait to see Paul."

"I can't wait to see my bed," Liam laughed sitting down on Josiah's bed, "as well as getting away from here. Even if it's only for a month." Josiah nodded in agreement and zipped  up the rest of his bags. Sitting down next to Liam, they both sat there just thinking of what they have been through in the past eight years that they have been away from their homes — life as a soldier was not easy. And they were most certainly grateful for the 30-day vacation they would receive before being deployed again.

After a couple of minutes of just sitting in silence, Liam finally broke it, "Well I should go and pack my stuff as well." Liam stood up and walked out the door with the last wave in Josiah's direction. Josiah let himself fall back to fully lay down on his bed: staring up at the ceiling in thought.

I'm ready to come home.