two - new friends

chapter ii.

❝ Are you a hothead, like your brother, as well? ❞

la push, washington
may 28, 2007

⚠️MENTIONS OF PTSD ⚠️

A HEAVY sigh escaped Josiah's lips as he sat upon his bed with sweat dripping down his face. His breathing was erratic and his heart felt like it would jump out of his chest. Putting his head in his hands and letting out a shaky breath, Josiah rubbed his face. The soldier laid back down in an attempt to fall back asleep but every time he closed his eyes all he could see was the lifeless eyes of his comrades. Knowing that he would not be falling asleep anytime soon, Josiah got up and looked at the clock which read 4:30 am.

Josiah headed towards the bathroom where he took a nice cold shower to help his muscles relax and clear his mind. Ten minutes later he exited the bathroom after brushing his teeth and headed back to his room to change. Throwing on a hoodie and khaki shorts, Josiah made his way outside and towards the forest.

The sky was still pitch black which made it hard for Josiah to navigate through the forest but still managed to arrive at La Push beach without getting lost. Walking closer to the waves Josiah sat down on the sandy beach with his arms wrapped around his knees, bringing them closer to his chest and resting his chin on top of them. Closing his eyes he took a deep breath, his body relaxed, as well as his thoughts which seemed to make their way out of his crammed head and flowed with the wind that carried through the air. The smell of the salty smell that the ocean gave off made Josiah relax even more where he even laid down and spread his arms out with his legs still tucked into him.

Opening his eyes Josiah could make out stars that seemed to be staring back at him — giving him company. Without realizing tears started flowing down his face and onto the sand under him. Josiah choked back a sob as he started to remember the nightmare that brought him to tears. Bringing his hands up to his face Josiah cried into them and tried to muffle the sobs that flowed out his mouth, unstoppable. Couple minutes went by before Josiah finally calmed down and just laid there ― staring at the stars. His eyelids started to feel heavy which he did not fight as sleep overtook him. After that, the young soldier fell in a deep sleep without any nightmares as he slept soundly on the sandy beach.

Josiah's eyes flickered open at the feeling of something wet dropping on his face only to find a tongue. Sitting up Josiah found a German Shepherd puppy looking down at him. The puppy had one single floppy ear and no collar as far as Josiah could see.

"Hey buddy," Josiah sat up and picked the puppy up while the puppy tried to lick his face making Joisha laugh, "We should try and find your owner."

Standing with the puppy in his arms Josiah began to look around the beach to see if anyone was around but noticed that the sun was barely coming up. No one would be at the beach at this time. Well, except for him.