twenty five - mission gone wrong

chapter xxv.

❝Liam...❞

tall kayf, iraq
february 21, 2008 - february 22,2008

THE DAY started like any other day at base. Josiah Lahote was woken up by Samuel screaming in his ear, simply to annoy him. After getting ready for the day, Josiah made sure to eat some breakfast with Liam and Samuel.

Throughout the day, the soldiers never stopped moving and continued to try and diminish the rogue group in Mosul. Throughout the last couple of days Josiah was able to pick up on the tense behavior of the Sergeant and General that ran their base. He didn't know why his superiors would be in such a mood, but he had an idea that it had to do with capturing Arash Ghorbani: leader of the group that has been terrorising the people in Mosul as well as giving information to the Taliban.

"What do you think the General will talk to us about? And why only us?" Samuel whispered to his friends who had similar looks on their faces.

Liam sighed. "Whatever it is... it can't be good."

Josiah couldn't help but feel uneasy at being called over by the General. "I guess it's not only us," Josiah pointed out upon entering the meeting area where 30 more soldiers sat, "It's better."

Once everyone was seated in their seats, General Evans made sure to explain in as much detail as he could to the group of men who would be in charge of the upcoming mission.

"Arash Ghorbani was hiding in Erbil since the idea that he might be in Mosul was mentioned. However, an insider has given us information about his whereabouts and were able to locate him in a small town called Tall Kayf."

Liam and Josiah, briefly, glanced at each other before looking back towards the front and hearing the rest of what the General had to say. "I have selected this platoon specifically to get the job done and bring in Arash Ghorbani: dead or alive."

"Yes sir!"

"Lieutenant Parker will be accompanying you and you will follow whatever orders you are given. Understood?"

"Yes sir!"

For the next three hours, General Evans and Lieutenant Parker made sure to go over the mission step by step — the soldiers listened intently to every word that was said. Everyone in that room wanted nothing more to capture their opponent and put an end to the massive violence they had to face every time they were needed in the city. Besides the obvious, the soldiers wanted nothing more but to bring one victory to the ongoing battle in the middle-east.

Lieutenant Parker stood in front of his platoon, "That is all. We will leave tomorrow at 1500 hours."

With the final words from their lieutenant, the soldiers spared each other one last look before walking out the door and continuing to do their daily jobs around their base.