twenty eight - waiting is not easy

chapter xviii.

❝ Waiting is the hardest part ❞

la push, washington
march 9, 2008

LEAH LOVED the feeling of the wind against her fur when she shifted. The world always seemed much simpler when she was in her wolf form, she felt like she could run away from all her feelings with her supernatural speed. Patrolling along the treaty line, the Clearwater girl kept her eyes sharply trained for any signs of trouble.

'Liam should be arriving soon.'

Hearing Paul speak up from besides her made the female shifter look away from across the small cliff. The dark grey wolf didn't look at her and simply stared straight ahead. Due to their pack telepathy, Leah was able to feel the overwhelming anxiety that the Lahote shifter felt.

Different thoughts filled Paul's head which led Leah to feel the variety of emotions behind those thoughts. She was able to tell, even without their telepathy, that he was worried about Liam's condition. Ever since the call the Lahote family had with Josiah, the pack had been on edge. Hearing about one of their close friends having a near death experience was overwhelming.

'Yeah...' Leah didn't really know what else to say. She had never seen Paul so agitated before.

The two shifters spent the next two hours doing patrol against the treaty line before finishing up and heading straight to the Lahote household. Going behind a tree, Leah quickly changed into some spare clothes and walked straight inside the small house. The first thing she noticed was Liam sitting in the living room with a cast on his legs and various cuts and bruises.

"Liam..." Paul was the first to approach the soldier, "It's good to see you again."

The soldier smiled at the sight of the youngest Lahote that reminded him of his best friend, "Glad to be back and see all of you."

Unfortunately, for the pack, Liam was ordered to rest up from his plane ride by Mary and no one wanted to contradict her. They would have to wait another day before seeing their friend. Meanwhile, Leah stayed over to help Mary prepare a nice homemade meal for the soldier while Paul headed back over to Sam's house to hang out with the rest of the pack.

"Oh shoot," Leah looked up from cutting some vegetables, "I forgot to buy the sauce while I was out today."

"I can go get it." Leah offered.

"No, no, you stay here and finish. I'll be back real quick." Mary smiled before heading out the door.

Couple of minutes went by with Leah finishing up the last touches to add to the food. Now all she needed to add was the sauce, which she had to wait for. As she waited for Mary to return with the sauce, she kept an eye on the food so it wouldn't burn while also letting her mind wander back to her imprint. With Liam back home, she would make sure to take advantage of it and ask more about Josiah, how he is doing.

"Wow smells pretty good." Leah flinched at the sudden voice from behind her, making her let out a yelp in surprise.

"Sorry I didn't mean to scare you," Liam chuckles, settling down at the dining table, "Where's Mary?"

"Oh," Leah cleared her throat, gaining her composure, "She forgot the sauce, so she had to go out and get it."

An awkward silence filled the small room. Although Leah was dating his best friend, they still didn't know much about each other to the point they could make casual conversation. Trying to ignore the awkwardness, Leah turned back to the food and stirred it on occasion.

Liam on the other hand wanted to start a conversation with the girl in front of him. She was in fact his best friend's girlfriend and the person he would spend the rest of his life with. He had to get along with her.

"Josiah never stopped talking about you when I was over there," Liam made the decision to casually bring up Josiah as a conversation started, "I've never seen him like that with anyone before."

"How... how was he doing... you know... before you had to leave? Is he okay?"

A gentle look took over Liam's face, "He's okay physically but I can't say anything about his mental state. However, I am confident he is going to be okay, as long as you stay by his side and support him."

"Of course," Leah spoke up, "I'm his imprint. I know it's kind of hard for you to understand these sorts of things, but... I love him, and I plan on staying by his side for as long as I live: that's what imprints are made for."

Liam could only smile at Leah's words. 'Josiah is in good hands.'

Surprisingly, Liam and Leah got along quite well. The two spent their time waiting for Mary talking comfortably. Mostly about Josiah but besides the point they were able to get to know each other further. Once Mary, finally, arrived with the sauce, the women finished cooking dinner and together they ate with the casual small talk.

***

That night Liam couldn't help but lay in bed with his mind wandering back to Josiah. He never had a problem being separated from his best friend when they were on duty on different squads ― but this was different. This time he was in another country, in a comfortable bed, safe. And Josiah was fighting in the middle east with the constant fear of getting attacked at any moment. Liam didn't like it. He's always had Josiah's back in battle as Josiah had his back. But now he wouldn't be able to look out for his best friend.

He let out a sigh, 'Waiting is the hardest part.'

◣▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔◢

║𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞!║

⋆∴༄ Hello everyone! I am sooo sorry I didn't upload yesterday! Something unexpected happened to my family that I didn't even remember it was Saturday. I had to be there for my family in such a hard time, and I honestly didn't think of anything else that day, sorry! Anyways, here is the chapter that was supposed to come out yesterday. Hope you enjoy! Sorry again!

☾ radiantmoonx ☽