forty - i was never gone

chapter xl.

❝ I made you a promise, didn't I ❞

la push, washington
august 2, 2008

AT THE Lahote-Allen household, the light haired woman finished making herself a herbal tea before making her way back to the dining table where her youngest son sat. Although Paul no longer lived with her, under her roof, he always made time to come see his mother.

"Liam hasn't called in a while..." Paul decided to bring up the conversion that they always seemed to avoid in order to not bring up bad memories.

"I'm sure he will soon."

Sighing, the dark haired male decided to drop it. Not wanting bad thoughts to fill his head.

Paul continued eating his tenth pancake that his mother had made without another word. Across from him, Mary watched her son with a fond smile on her lips. However, her heart ached at not being able to watch her eldest son eat her food as well next to her youngest. She missed him terribly. Everyone did.

After finishing his breakfast, he made sure to help his mother by washing the dishes. "I'm gonna get going mom. I promised Jared I would help him and Sam with some things."

The only response he got was glass chattering as they made contact with the floor― startling him. "Mom? Are you okay?" Rushing out of the kitchen, Paul's worried eyes scanned the dining room. His mother was standing with her back facing him, looking straight ahead and the teacup she previously had was on the ground, in pieces.

"Mom? Wha―" Paul froze mid sentence at the sight in front of him. Slowly and hesitantly, he walked over to stand beside his mother. His eyes did not leave the person standing in the small living room of his house. The person he never thought he would see again.

Mary was the first to break away from her shocked stance and walked up to her son. The son she thought was gone for good. Shakily, she reached over— wanting to make sure she wasn't seeing things.

Once her hand made contact with his bare skin on his forearm, Mary let out a gasp covering her mouth as tears welled up at the corner of her eyes. Josiah couldn't take it anymore, he wrapped his arms around his mother and pulled her into a tight hug. Not wanting to let go. And together they cried.

Mary's uncontrollable sobs filled the quiet house, her hands clenched into fists around Josiah's shirt― not wanting to let go.

From the opposite side of the room, the youngest Lahote could only stare with his eyes wide and unshed tears building up— blurring his vision. Taking a couple of hesitant steps forward, Paul approached his mother and brother: still having a hard time believing what he was seeing in front of him. His shaky hands reached over and felt the warm skin from his deceased brother making him flinch back. A knot formed at the back of his throat, making it hard for him to breathe.