one - welcome home

chapter i.

❝ You ass! Why didn't you tell me you were coming home? ❞

la push, washington
may 27, 2007

JOSIAH'S HEART could be heard from a mile away, excitement running through his veins, he was to finally see his mother and brother after four years of serving in the military. Of course, he made sure to Skype call and call over the phone here and there but it was not the same as seeing them face to face.

Trees passed by as Josiah drove in his black 2005 Jeep Wrangler. The thing that the young soldier missed most about La Push would definitely have to be the greenery that surrounded the small reservation. Seeing the tall pine trees around him gave Josiah a sense of nostalgia as he remembered their first time they arrived at La Push after his parent's divorce, bringing a smile to his face.

Eleven-year-old Josiah stood outside of their new house in La Push, Washington with a scowl on his face. He hated his mother right now. He did not want to move to a new place away from his friend Liam and their father. Grabbing his belongings from their small car, Josiah made his way inside and towards an empty room that his mother told him would be his and Paul's room. He didn't mind sharing rooms with his younger brother; however, it did bother him how small it was.

"Jay, let's go out and play," Josiah turned to face his brother who had a bright smile on his face.

"We should unpack first before we go out and explore this new place," Josiah turned back around and started opening his bag which contained all his clothes. Paul let out a groan behind him, "Come on Jay."

"I said later Paul," Josiah gave him a look over his shoulder which quickly shut his little brother up. "Start organizing your stuff over there," Josiah pointed over to a drawer in the left corner of their room. Josiah heard Paul give a sigh causing him to smile down at him.

"The faster we finish, the faster we will go out and explore. I promise." Josiah said without taking his attention from folding his clothes and putting them away in a much smaller drawer in the other corner of the room.

"Okay," Paul mumbled, starting to fold his clothes as well.

About 3 hours went by before the Lahote siblings collapsed on one of the beds while letting out a long sigh causing them to chuckle afterward. They stayed like that for a couple more minutes before eight-year-old Paul jumped up and started pulling Josiah up by his arm.

"Come on Josiah! Come on!" Paul jumped up and down while still trying to pull Josiah up from the bed, "Let's go and play now!"

Josiah laughed at his little brother's attempt in trying to pull him up. Paul let out a grunt as he struggled to pull his big brother.