fourteen - don't bring guns to a vampire fight!

chapter xiv.

❝ Shooting them doesn't work! ❞ ❝ You don't think I noticed! ❞

❝ You don't think I noticed! ❞

la push, washington
june 14, 2007

BOTH SOLDIERS grabbed their handguns and placed them behind their backs, hidden by their shirts. Liam carried a glock 26 while Josiah had a gsr 1911. Even though Paul made it perfectly clear that a gun would do no damage to a vampire, Liam and Josiah felt better knowing they had something to at least distract and signal the pack.

"Alright, this is how things are going to work," Josiah's eyes looked over each member of the pack until his eyes met Leah's where they lingered on her before continuing what he was saying, "Liam and I will head out into woods and hopefully that will be enough to lure out the vampires. Then we can―"

Josiah was cut off by his brother, "We are not going to let you guys go off on your own. No way!"

"Then we can signal you guys to come. They won't come out if they smell you near us," Josiah sighed, giving his brother a blank stare. He just wanted to get this over with as soon as possible.

Sam seemed to detect the soldier's frustration, so he decided to step in, "Josiah is right," Paul narrowed his eyes in Sam's direction, "The leeches will be able to smell our scent from miles away. We need to give Liam and Josiah time to lure them close so we can corner them."

Paul couldn't believe Sam was letting his brother and Liam go on their own to lure out the leeches. He felt himself shake in anger causing Jared to pull him away from the rest of the pack. Leah contemplated following after them, since she started to feel herself getting angry by the second, but decided against it. She could feel Josiah's eyes on her, but she couldn't bear to look at his light brown eyes.

The eldest Lahote felt a tug at his heart when Leah didn't look up from looking down at her muddy shoes. He knew she was still wary about him going alone with Liam to the forest where vampires would surely be waiting for them.

"Well," Liam broke the ominous silence, "Let's get this over with."

Josiah felt a hand grab his wrist, stopping him from following after his friend. He looked down at his wrist then back up to meet Leah's worried gaze. His eyes softened and his tense shoulders relaxed at her touch. No words needed to be shared as the emotions rolled off of Leah and onto Josiah. Smiling softly, Josiah grabbed the back of her neck and brought his lips to her forehead ― the best reassurance he could give her.

Pulling away, Josiah gave her one last smile before walking away and following Liam into the woods. Both soldiers didn't speak and maintained a poker face on. They needed to keep their heads clear and aware ― just like any other mission. Two hours into their walk in the woods, they decided to wait out their plan, hoping that some vampires would show up. Liam grabbed some binoculars and looked around them to see if anything seemed out of the ordinary.

"I see some of the pack up on the hill," Liam pointed to a hill that was miles away from where they stood, "Probably Paul."

Josiah nodded, glanced at the hill, "Well he's far away so that they are not seen but close enough to run over to us if we get into trouble."

Liam sighed, taking a seat on a fallen log. "Yeah."

Another two hours passed since Liam and Josiah stopped somewhere in the middle of nowhere to lure out the vampire but nothing happened. Not wanting to let their guard down, the soldiers kept looking around their surroundings with the binoculars Liam brought.

Just as Josiah was about to suggest they head back to Sam's, the hairs at the back of his neck stood up making him shiver and look behind him. The first thing Josiah saw was the bright red eyes staring back at him; just like the Cullens, the man in front of the soldiers was extremely pale. He was shirtless and barefoot. The only form of clothing he had was some old pair of jeans From the corner of his eyes Josiah could see Liam visibly tense at the sight of the red eyed man.

"Well," the vampire smirked, taking a step towards the soldiers which caused them to take a step back, "It's nice to finally see you two alone without the muts around. And I got to say, the wet dog smell does not suit you."

With a look of disgust the red eyed man took another step toward the soldiers but they took another step back, their hands reaching towards their guns subconsciously.

"Come on John." At the sound of a new voice behind them caused both soldiers to whip out their guns and aim them at the dangerous strangers. Liam watched Josiah's back by pointing his gun in the direction of another vampire. This one was female: she was pale, red eyes, and beautiful features that almost seemed unnatural to Liam. She wore black pants with a white shirt that seemed to be stained of blood, making Liam's blood run cold. Her red eyes stared down Liam, but he didn't let it get to him as he stood his ground and glared back.

"I want to have my fun already." John smirked, giving the women a wink before looking back at the soldier in front of him. Josiah tightened his grip on his gun as the vampire named John looked him up and down with hunger in his eyes that made unpleasant chills run up and down his arm.

"You see, I was planning on making your death as fast and pain free as possible... but," John took another step closer to Josiah, "Those stupid mutts killed our friend... so now... we will make sure your death excruciating."

Time seemed to slow down as Josiah pulled the trigger hitting John straight in the chest. However, the bullet seemed to only break at the contact of his skin making John release a baleful laugh, his eyes turning a darker shade of red as he glared at Josiah.

Snapping out of his shock, Josiah began firing again at the vampire in front of him without stopping ― he could hear Liam's gun going off as well. At hearing his gun click, indicating that it was empty, Josiah was quick to reload.

"Shooting them doesn't work!" Liam yelled over his shoulder, continuing to shoot at the female vampire that seemed to laugh at the soldier's poor attempts in killing them.

"You don't think I noticed!" Josiah called back in annoyance at not managing to make any damage on the supernatural creatures. He began firing again but was taken by surprise when John tackled him to the ground, his hands around his throat.

"Jay!" With all his strength Josiah tried to pull the cold hands away from his throat. The soldier moved his head to the left to try and get free, making eye contact with Liam who was in a similar position.

Josiah quickly reached down to one of his pockets and pulled out a knife before plunging it into John's face. Although it did not do much to the vampire on top of him, it gave him enough time to escape his grasp ― John let out an animalistic growl.

Before the vampire could lunge at Josiah again, a familiar white-greyish wolf jumped on top of John, taking him down and ripping one of his arms off. Another familiar silver wolf followed, jumping out and tackling the female vampire off of Liam before ripping her head off in the process.

"You okay?" Josiah pulled Liam onto his feet, looking over him to see if he was injured.

Liam let out a sigh of relief, "I'm fine."

Josiah looked back to see both Paul and Leah walking up to the soldiers ― behind them the dead bodies of the two vampires. Josiah smiled in Leah's direction. At least it seemed to be over.

"Well," Josiah rubbed his neck, trying to get rid of the feeling of cold hands wrapped around his throat, "It seems to be over."

The soldier spoke too soon because as soon as those words came out of his mouth, another man stepped out from behind a tree; the same red eyes staring back at him. Leah let out a snarl before charging at the vampire.