Beauty Standards (Park Seongwha)

Written by @seongwrites

BEAUTY STANDARDS

"Y/n I am home!" Seonghwa announced.
No response. He went to the kitchen and heard some sobbings coming out of the room. "Looks like someone is crying. Wait, is Y/n crying? I should check on her." he said to himself.

He went to the room and saw you in a horrible state. You were a complete mess. You were crying in a fetal position (In this position, the back is curved, the head is bowed, and the limbs are bent and drawn up to the torso.)

"Y/n are you okay?" he sat down beside you trying his best to calm you down. He started to caress your back in circles. "It's okay. I am here." he was worried. He hasn't seen you crying like this.

"Hwa the thing that happened in my office was that I mismatched the documents at the office and my boss plus my colleagues yelled at me for a minor mistake.

I wasn't denying that I was at fault but it was about the office because of my mistake they started yelling at me. It would have been fine if they would have scolded me for my mistake but they started saying shits like it wouldn't have happened because I wasn't pretty.

And when I questioned them about why looks are so important they answered me that  In the workplace, the way you look can be more important than the merit of your work to some supervisors, while your coworkers can treat you differently if you don't fit into their idea of professional appearances/ BEAUTY STANDARDS.

I hadn't hurt anyone but myself, but the way they acted, it was like I was the most horrible, stupid, idiotic person, alive. And I couldn't respond. All I could do was stand there. I kept telling myself I wasn't going to cry. That was all I could think about.

It was as if they were small, stabbed in my heart, or just like hit in the solar plexus.

Plus I was about to get my promotion by today but they told me that I could not be promoted because I will be representing that foundation. And I couldn't fit in their beauty standards. Why do I have to be the one to face this? What was my fault? To be born like this?"  you cried again.

"Y/n look here. Take a deep breath first. I can understand how much humition you had faced. But you know what? I Am Here, and I Love You No Matter What people say to you. Seongwha said.

"Seonghwa, why did you get married to me?" you asked while your tears started to drop one by one. You couldn't hold yourself.

"Is that even a question?" he replied. "It is for me. Please tell me why did you get married to someone like me? Was it because you pity me?" you were not in the correct mindset. "I would never pity you. I got married to you because I LOVE YOU!" he patted your head. "How could you love someone ugly like me?" you couldn't stop crying. He holds your hand.

"You could have found so many pretty girls. I am sorry that I am ugly." you looked down. "Yes, you are right," he said. But before he could say anything more you started your whimper again"I knew I was not meant for you. I guess you couldn't brag about your wife just like other people did."

"I mean I would have found many girls but you know what? I wouldn't have found you. for me, you are the most beautiful girl in this whole world. Who cares about looks? And about bragging, I always brag about how funny you are. Your humour is at its point, how good you are at your job, And kind to people. You don't know how precious you are to me. You are the love of my life! Did you get that? Before speaking shit about my love, think twice or else I will beat you to a pulp." he tried to cheer you up.

"Still Hwa. I feel like I am humiliating you in public." even though you smiled for a bit. Words said by your colleagues start stinging you.

"You would never humiliate me. Y/n, please  Even though you tell me thousands of bad things about yourself my love for you would never change. You cannot change my mind." he cupped your face and looked straight to your eyes.

"You are so nice to me Hwa!" He was being so motivated to you. "I am not being nice, I am just stating the facts. Promise me you won't again talk shits about your looks. People will say thousands of shits about you because they are jealous of you that you are better than you. If people don't have flaws then that's not human. Every single one has flaws. It's just that you need to accept the flaws and live a happy life without caring about what people say. Okay?" he said and kissed your forehead.

"I am sorry I should have ignored it as I will find so many people in the future and crying every time and taking it seriously will simply just waste my time and will harm my mental health." finally you started to understand it.

"Exactly. Have you seen people with good looks but they have a shitty personality? They are good for nothing. And if looks were this important then why are they useless? They only show off but deep down including themselves knows that the day they get old their looks will go in vain. It will be useless. So we should do something amazing to be remembered in people's memory not by looks because looks fade away but memories don't." Seongwha said.

"Thank you, Hwa I will remember this. Plus I have thought that I will not give a damn about beauty standards and love the way I am. And work hard so that I could do something for people and inspire them that beauty is not something we should focus on instead of appreciating the little things happening to us and making beautiful memories to cherish." You finally smiled.

"That's my girl! Well, what are we having for dinner?" He changed the topic.
"Kimchi fried rice?" you replied. "Yes!! Haven't eaten it in months." he made a relieved face. "Exactly. Now go make them." you handed him the apron. "Heh? After helping you out like this YoU ArE TeLliNg ME tO mAkE IT?" he cried out. "You said you will be there for me no matter what so...." you smirked. "Now I am questioning myself why I got married to you HAHA!" he faked a cry.

The end.