seven

Remington POV

"Thank you. I'll try."

Her soft drawl lingered and turned into a yawn while she spoke, the "try" extending Alice's jaw completely while she made a high-pitched squeal. The noise made me grin as she wiggled and shook her head. "Wow, I don't know how I can try to stay awake."

"Why do you need to stay awake?" I stretched slightly and echoed her yawn, wadding another hoodie into a pillow that I then tucked under my head before laying back on the ground.

Close contact with Alice is incredible, but I need to watch myself. Thankfully the forest floor was soft and warm, plus it was still a warm summer evening.

Reese would have loved it out here...

I knew memories of my brother would be everywhere in the woods. It was where we spent the most time together. We had a treehouse by the pond where we swam every possible chance we got, not to mention all the biking we did around the paths forged in our wooded area near the house/  Our childhood was lived outside, only forced into shoes and proper Sunday clothes when grandparents were visiting or special occasions dictated.

Then there were times for cleats and baseball pants, but you can't ride a bike in cleats.

Alice hummed to herself while rustling around her backpack. I was becoming accustomed to her busyness. She was not someone who sat still, just waiting around for life to happen. I felt a light thump on my chest and heard wrappers crinkle before she answered, "Concussion. No way are either of us sleeping tonight. Benji's pupils are not dilated or different sizes so I an pretty sure he is just fine." She let out another yawn before continuing, "but we need to stay awake so this chocolate will help."

Her logic made me smile.

We may be brand new to one another but it has become crystal clear that Alice works from an intellectual center, making choices that are pragmatic first and empathetic second. Benji thrived in this setting. His personality was clearly tailor-made for a life with an abundance of clarity as well as compassion.

She has no idea how deeply he loves her... or how lucky she is to still have a brother.

How blessed they are to have each other... what I wouldn't give...

I bit back my jealousy with a few deep breaths. Years of repression and therapy have taught me that it's a lost cause to compare my suffering to what anyone else has been dealt.

Trauma is trauma. Comparing mine to theirs only serves to waste time and increase my own anxiety, so I'd rather save time and energy.

After feeling around in the dark I was able to open the candy bar she tossed my way, biting into a Milky Way and moaning lightly at the flavor of nougat and caramel. Alice did the same, sipping a bottle of water that she shared with me while also nibbling on chocolate and carefully studying Benji's hair for more debris.

Eating in the dark was pretty interesting. The chocolate was richer, and I could even smell that she was enjoying a Reese's peanut butter cup the instant her wrapper was opened.

"Thanks for taking care of me, Liss, but let me have Reese's next time.  Stop holding out on me," I teased as she handed me a package of cheese crackers.

She giggled, "Is that what I'm doing here, Remington? Taking care of you?"

"Isn't it?" I could not quite tell from her tone whether she was being sarcastic or genuinely unaware of just how much she did to keep Benji and me alive since the accident.

Alice was quiet for another long moment and I could sense her hesitation.

Did she feel uncomfortable?