thirty seven

ALICE POV

"Wait, really?"

"Yep, really." He laughed at my blank expression as I stood in the hardware store aisle.  I shivered thanks to air conditioning now soaking through my body, sliding the lightweight hoodie I brought along onto my arms while we wandered the aisles aimlessly in an attempt to stretch out our alone time together.

We had an amazing lunch once Jesse and Greg made their way to the house, then got a movie set up for them so Remington and I could run a few errands. Benji and I both had some prescriptions to pick up and I knew there were a couple groceries I wanted to get as well.  Greg was feeling tired and looked frail so Benji was more than happy to pull out board games and set up Monopoly at the table so the four of them could relax while we were gone.

I was excited for the time alone with Remi.

This was the closest we were going to get to some semblance of a date for awhile, and I wanted to make the most of it. Once Jesse texted that they were on the way our crew went inside and I took a quick shower before changing into jean shorts and a short sleeve faded Braves tee shirt. It was a comfortable outfit for lounging on the couch but I knew it would be good for running to the store as well.

"You've never once painted a room before?" I held up a roller and stared in bewilderment at the man in front of me.  His dimples showed as he grinned sheepishly, head dipping while he scuffed his foot a moment before responding.

"My parents had the house painted for us before we moved. My apartments and dorms were always done and I never had any desire to change anything." Remington shrugged, looking less sure of himself under my scrutiny.  He looked up, meeting my eyes again with a small grin, "I guess I have a hard time with change."

"So... you were stuck with taupe?"

"And some great eggshell in the dorms at UGA," he added with a smirk, causing me to laugh. I set down the paint roller and took his hand, leading Remi to the wall of paint swatches. His eyes grew wider and I could see him begin to short circuit but I laughed, directing his attention to pamphlets the paint manufacturers put together showing entire homes that used their colors in coordinating rooms and designs.

"See, all you really need to do is just look at a few of these and see which one you vibe with.  Change is good, and if you decide you don't like it anymore you just get more paint and try again," I explained, opening one brochure and gasping at a gorgeous bedroom with sage green walls and a dark wood four poster bed, white curtains hanging with sunshine pouring in through the windows.  The wood floors had a tapestry style rug while my hand traced over delicate lace details on the bed linens.

"Guess you like this one?" Remi teased, leaning into me as his shoulder knocked mine.

I laughed and nodded, "The dark wood is gorgeous! I love heirloom pieces like this." My confidence faltered a moment but I looked up at him and continued anyway, "I guess... I mean... I don't have anything like that from my parents. I wish I did and would love to maybe pass something on in the future if I'm ever lucky enough to have my own family."

Remington hummed and nodded, browsing the pamphlets a moment before pulling one that included a soft yellow kitchen. "This. This is you." He pointed to the center island with a sink and stools surrounded that looked exceptionally uncomfortable. "Except those chairs. Those look awful."

I smiled softly, my fingers tracing the waterfall countertop, "Yeah. Yeah, it is.  I need a big island so there is plenty of space for baking but the chairs have to be way more cozy."  The next page in this booklet showed a master bedroom complete with balcony and double doors, gauzy white curtains blowing in a breeze while the white walls were offset with dark blue curtains.