thirty

Benji POV

"That's all?"  I was confused about how easy the recipe seemed so far but Doc Edwards laughed and nodded at me.

"Yep!  That's all!  We will let these two whole chickens that we cut into pieces and all these extra drumsticks soak in the buttermilk for at least an hour.  That should give us some time to prepare a few sides and we can just relax." She washed her hands while Daisy put the container in the fridge.

I like Doc Edwards. She has been really nice to me ever since I met he in the hospital, plus she takes good care of Lissy. It's nice to feel like we have someone to look up to, even though my sister is the best.

My body was sore, especially my ankle, so resting for awhile sounded nice. Walking all over down and stores was a lot of fun but also tiring. I groaned, "Yeah, I wanna do that..."

My leg was hurting more today after we had a couple colder days.  Last night it rained and today was overcast which made everything more sore.

Lissy grabbed my arm and dragged me to the couch while she laughed, saying, "Sit, Beep."

I laughed, "Woof woof!" which made Daisy giggle from the kitchen.  Greg was working on his new crossword book that Daisy bought him and loved it but looked up and laughed at us joking around.

He's a really good guy.

It's weird to be friends with someone who is dying, but it's also a neat thing to get to do.  Daisy asked me yesterday if she could buy him a present or something and I told her it was a good idea, so it was nice that she found this book for him. Lissy really doesn't let her spend any money which was starting to piss her off. Daisy has lots of money she could spend if my sister let her.

Maybe now that we have a car that will be easier. I can find fun stuff to do and then Daisy and I can spend our money on cool activities. There are SO many activities around town! The community pool and water park, the library has a whole class schedule, first aid classes, not to mention all the awesome nature stuff Lissy gets to do.

My sister brought me a bottle of Dr Pepper and some Tylenol along with a leftover cold piece of pizza.  I grinned, "Thanks, Lissy!  You're the best sister in the world!"

She stared at me with a funny look a minute and smiled, but didn't say anything.

I know something is going on.

It has been for awhile now, but I'm not really sure what it is.

Of course it has to do with Remington.

Maybe she feels guilty about their relationship and doesn't want me to feel left out?

I have always known she would meet someone eventually. One of the guys in college really liked her and came over all the time. Lissy never realized it, but he told me he liked her and wasn't going to do anything until school was done.

Then we moved.

He was hurt but understood. I think he wanted the chance and felt like he missed out, but he wasn't right for my sister.

Remington is right for her, though. Even now he is in the dining room getting the crate for Peach set up and making sure all our new dog's things are put together. Remi has stuck by our sides, keeping us safe... just like he promised me on the train.

I shrugged off the weird feeling and took my medicine. Daisy crashed on the couch and had her own piece of pizza so we flipped on The Chef Show on Netflix and rewatched an old episode while we ate. Seth Rogen was helping take apart chickens so I could learn how to do it just like she and her mom did a little bit earlier.