thirty nine

ALICE POV

Benji was exhausted.

I sat on the edge of Remington's bed while he got settled, taking the boot off his leg and helping him do some gentle stretches.  I leaned the plastic boot against a bedside table, glancing up at Remi's cork board and noticing a polaroid of him with Reese from a summer years ago that made me smile.  Benji let out a loud yawn, raising the camouflage cast to his face to cover but smacking himself instead.

"Did you forget cause it's invisible?"  My teasing tone made Benji chuckle while Remington wheeled Greg into the room.

"You okay, Benji?" Greg leaned forward to look closely, scanning Benji for any obvious signs of discomfort.

He nodded, looking to me for reassurance before speaking, "It was a long day so I'm going to," another yawn broke through so Benji used his free hand this time to cover his mouth before continuing, "To get a little nap for a bit before dinner."

"We will get you up in about an hour, deal?" Remi asked from the doorway where he leaned against the frame. I turned and offered a warm smile while he stepped forward, moving just behind me and laying a warm hand on my back. "Right now I need to steal Lissy so she can help me figure out what is in all those boxes in the living room."

I laughed lightly, turning my head to meet Remington's eyes, "Oh, so I don't get to just relax outside with Peach while you feed me?"  He gave me a bright grin, my heart racing at our close contact.

Greg chuckled, "Sorry, Alice. Duty calls! But Benji, after dinner we have tons of baseball cards that you and Remington need to get to work on organizing." He looked at Remington and seemed to pause, mulling over his words, but spoke anyway, "I would love for you to see more of our past. You're part of the family."

Benji grinned, yawning again and speaking with words drawn out due to his exhaustion, "I'd love that, Greg..."

With that I stood, leaning down to ruffle his hair with a quiet, "Sleep well, Beep," before turning to leave the room.

Remington followed, helping Greg wheel himself on the thick carpet which made using a wheelchair difficult. I made my way to the kitchen and grabbed a fresh glass of water, drinking a sip before Greg spoke up.

"What happened earlier today, Alice?"

I let out a sigh, my eyes focused on the ground since I could not bear to look at either of them directly.  "Therapy was rough today. I know he'll share more with you when he feels ready and the therapist even told me to be careful how much I say just because he's able to say things on his own.  Benji needs to know his relationship with me is a safe space just like the relationships he has with you two."

Remington nodded, "That makes sense. It's a trust issue at a certain point."

"Exactly," I nodded with wide eyes, excited that he understood, "His therapist said that I need to balance things so that Benji is able to tell you guys his thoughts. So all I'm gonna say is that it was a hard day but Daisy and I did a ton of baking and he will be okay. Just be gentle with him and of course call me later when I'm at home if you need me."

Greg sighed, his hands shaking as he flexed his fingers. I watched as his nearly transparent skin seemed to crack painfully at the motion while he seemed to search for how to respond.

Remington beat him to the punch, merely replying, "We can do that. Just let him continue to open up as he sees fit."

The sliding door opened with Daisy and Peach bounding inside, the puppy instantly causing Greg's face to shift from sadness to joy.